Slow Cooker Savory Pot Roast - Tender and delicious pot roast made in a slow cooker/crockpot with boneless beef roast, carrots, and onion in savory gravy. This recipe is a super easy dinner packed with delicious flavors that scream comfort food.
If you are looking for a savory, easy and comforting home cooked meal, this is it! Not only is this pot roast recipe super easy to make in your slow cooker, it is absolutely delicious! This recipe also makes amazing leftovers.
This recipe serves about 4-6 people depending on everyone's appetite! We served our pot roast and carrots over mashed potatoes and it was really yummy. I'll link a few of my favorite side dishes to serve with this recipe for you below.
What ingredients do I need to make pot roast?
boneless beef roast - About a 2 lb. Tri Tip Roast, Chuck Roast, or London Broil all work great in this recipe
baby carrots - You'll need about 12 oz or equivalent to about 3 cups.
red potatoes (optional) - About 4-5 red potatoes cut into large chunks.
onion (yellow, sweet, or red) - Small yellow onion, diced into 1 inch pieces
garlic cloves - Fresh garlic is best in this recipe! You'll need 3 large cloves.
beef broth - I used low sodium beef broth.
balsamic vinegar - Adds a delicious flavor to the beef! I prefer to use a good quality balsamic, but use whatever you have on hand. You'll need 3 tablespoons.
soy sauce - I always use low sodium.
yellow mustard - You can also use dijon or grainy mustard in this recipe.
ketchup - Adds a nice tomato sweetness to the roast.
brown sugar - Light or dark brown sugar both work great.
salt - I almost always use sea salt, but you can use table salt as well.
black pepper - Fresh cracked or ground.
fresh parsley - You can also use dried parsley, just half the amount.
butter + oil - For searing.
all-purpose flour - For the gravy.
What tools do I need to make this recipe?
- Slow Cooker - To cook your roast in.
- Cast Iron Skillet - To sear the roast prior to slow cooking.
- Cutting Board - To chop and prepare veggies.
- Knife - Chop and prepare veggies.
- Tongs - Flip roast while searing.
- Measuring Spoons and Cups - Properly measure all of your ingredients.
- Small Bowl - Mixing your sauce.
- Whisk - Mixing your sauce.
How to make the best Slow Cooker Pot Roast:
Add onion, carrots and potatoes to the bottom of your slow cooker.
Season the beef roast with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat cast iron skillet to high heat and add oil and butter. Once the skillet is very hot, carefully sear roast on all sides for about a minute on each side. Transfer to a slow cooker with drippings.
In a small bowl, whisk beef broth, balsamic vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, mustard, garlic and brown sugar. Pour over meat and veggies. Sprinkle with dried parsley.
Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
When done, thicken your gravy by adding about a tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over butter and whisking constantly add the juices from your slow cooker until desired thickness.
Serve pot roast and veggies with gravy. Enjoy!
Side dishes to serve with Slow Cooker Pot Roast:
Creamy Mashed Potatoes - Easy, creamy, buttery mashed potatoes sprinkled with fresh parsley.
Scalloped Potatoes - Thinly sliced potatoes layered in a creamy sauce with cheddar cheese baked to a golden perfection.
Buttermilk Rolls - Warm, soft and fluffy buttermilk rolls with a golden outer crust make these the best buttermilk rolls ever.
Cornbread Muffins - Serve warm cornbread muffins with butter and honey. These muffins go excellent with chili, barbecued dinners, and so much more!
More Favorite Roast Recipes You'll Love:
Slow Cooker Balsamic Brown Sugar Pork Roast - Tender and delicious pork roast slow cooked in a crockpot with a sticky balsamic brown sugar glaze.
Slow Cooked Tender London Broil - This London broil recipe is super delicious. It is slightly sweet with tons of flavor and melts in your mouth.
French Onion Pot Roast - Tender and delicious pot roast recipe cooked to pull-apart perfection in a slow cooker layered with tender onions in a savory sauce. This pot roast is the ultimate easy comfort meal perfect for any night of the week!
Easy Crockpot Pork Shoulder - Delicious pork roast recipe cooked low and slow in a crockpot. Serve pulled pork on sandwiches, tacos, & more! You can use pork shoulder or pork butt, both work excellent for this recipe.
Slow Cooker Savory Pot Roast
- 2 lb. boneless beef roast tri-tip, chuck or london broil
- ½ tablespoon butter + oil each - for searing
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 4-5 red potatoes cut into large chunks
- 1 small yellow onion diced in 1" pieces
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup beef broth low sodium
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce low sodium
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp flour for gravy
- 1 tablespoon butter for gravy
- Add onions, carrots and potatoes to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Season the beef roast with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat cast iron skillet to high heat and add oil and butter. Once the skillet is very hot, carefully sear roast on all sides for about a minute on each side. Transfer to a slow cooker with drippings.
- In a small bowl, whisk beef broth, balsamic vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, mustard, garlic and brown sugar. Pour over meat and veggies. Sprinkle with dried parsley.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- When done, thicken your gravy by adding about a tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over butter and whisking constantly add the juices from your slow cooker until sauce lightly thickens.
- Serve pot roast and veggies with gravy. Enjoy!
This post was originally published on November 18, 2019 and updated on January 13, 2021.