Thick & Chewy Bakery Oatmeal Cookies – Skip the bakery and make your very own thick and chewy bakery style oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies at home! Serve with an ice cold glass of milk.
Oh my, talk about one delicious cookie! These bakery style oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies are so scrumptious. They are thick, chewy and mouthwatering delicious!
Truly, there is nothing better than the smell of a warm freshly baked cookie straight from the oven! Dip a warm cookie in a cold glass of milk or top with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream!
These cookies are extremely easy to make ahead of time and will last about 3-4 days in an airtight container. So, if you are planning on baking these to bring to a party or mailing fresh cookies to a friend, this recipe is perfect!
You can also freeze the dough and bake the cookies as your cravings kick in with the dough ready to go in the freezer! This recipe makes about 12 large cookies. So, if you are cooking for a crowd, simply double the recipe.
Ingredients you need to make my bakery style oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies:
- All-Purpose Flour – Extremely versatile flour perfect for cookies.
- White Sugar – For a sweet cookie.
- Brown Sugar – Molasses in the brown sugar adds a nice depth of flavor.
- Cinnamon + Nutmeg – Warm spices add a delicious flavor to oatmeal cookies.
- Butter – Softened to room temperature.
- Egg – Increase richness of the cookie.
- Baking Powder– For a light and fluffy cookie.
- Salt – To enhance the flavor of the cookie.
- Rolled Oats – I used organic old fashioned rolled oats.
- Vanilla Extract – For added flavor. You can use a pure vanilla extract or imitation vanilla.
- Honey – Added sweetness and flavor.
- Vegetable Oil – You can also use canola oil if you don’t have vegetable oil.
- Chocolate Chunks – You can also use chocolate chips if you don’t have chunks.
- Cornstarch – For a light and fluffy cookie with the perfect texture.
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- Measuring Spoons + Cups
- Baking Sheet
- Cooling Rack
- Parchment Paper
- Plastic Wrap
- Mixing Bowl
How to make homemade thick and chewy bakery style oatmeal cookies:
In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, salt, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together butter, vegetable oil, honey and sugars over medium speed until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Slowly add flour mixture until fully combined. Stir in chocolate chunks. Cover and place dough in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop generous sized rounded balls of cookie dough onto the baking sheet.
Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick runs through to cookie and comes out clean.
Remove cookies from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more of my favorite cookie recipes:
- Lemon Cheesecake Cookies – The most amazing light and fluffy lemon cream cheese cookies with a delicious lemon glaze drizzle.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – My chewy chunky peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips are soft, buttery and delicious!
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies – Soft and chewy oatmeal raisin cookies spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg make for the perfect sweet snack.
- Thumbprint Cookies with Strawberry Jam – Soft and chewy Thumbprint Cookies with strawberry jam sprinkled with powdered sugar. These cookies exceeded my expectations!
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies – These Chocolate Sugar Cookies are soft and chewy perfection.
- Classic Sugar Cookies – A classic Christmas sugar cookie recipe perfect for holiday cookie decorating. Share these delicious soft and chewy sugar cookies at your upcoming Holiday gatherings.
How to store homemade cookies:
These cookies will last in an airtight bag or container on the counter for up to 4 days.
You can also store the raw cookie dough or baked (cooled) cookies in an airtight container or freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to use the dough, remove from freezer and let soften up just enough so you can easily form balls of dough. Then, follow recipe instructions.
Thick Chewy Bakery Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 cup Chocolate Chunks
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, salt, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together butter, vegetable oil, honey and sugars over medium speed until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Slowly add flour mixture until fully combined. Stir in chocolate chunks. Cover and place dough in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop generous sized rounded balls of cookie dough onto the baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick runs through to cookie and comes out clean.
- Remove cookies from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.