Chocolate Sugar Cookies - The most delicious soft and chewy chocolate sugar cookies rolled in granulated sugar and baked to perfection are the perfect sweet treat!
The key to making these cookies so tasty is placing them in the fridge to let the dough chill prior to baking. They last about 3-4 days stored in an airtight container on the counter. You can also freeze the dough for up to 90 days for later use.
Ingredients you need to make homemade Chocolate Sugar Cookies:
Butter, room temperature - You may used salted or unsalted butter in this recipe.
Vegetable Oil - You can also use canola oil if you don’t have vegetable oil.
Brown Sugar - Light or dark brown sugar both worth great in this recipe.
Granulated Sugar - For a sweet cookie.
Eggs - Increase richness of the cookie.
Cocoa Powder - A good quality cocoa powder will give these cookies the most delicious chocolate flavor.
All Purpose Flour - Extremely versatile flour perfect for cookies.
Baking Soda - For a light and fluffy cookie.
Baking Powder - For a light and fluffy cookie.
Vanilla Extract - For added flavor. You can use a pure vanilla extract or imitation vanilla.
Salt - To enhance the flavor of the cookie.
*Full measurements and instructions listed below.
WHAT TOOLS DO I NEED TO MAKE THESE COOKIES?
- stand mixer or hand mixer - To mix your cookie dough.
- baking sheet - For baking the chocolate sugar cookies.
- cooling rack - To cool the cookies after baking.
- measuring cups and spoons - For properly measuring all of your ingredients.
- parchment paper - This will prevent the cookies from sticking to your baking sheet.
- small bowl - For rolling the cookies into sugar prior to baking.
How to make Chocolate Sugar Cookies:
In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together sugar, butter and oil. Mix over medium speed until smooth. Add vanilla and the eggs, one at a time.
In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Add dry ingredients to the mixer about 1 cup at a time with the mixer on medium speed until well incorporated.
Place cookie dough in the fridge for 1 hour.
Once the dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Roll 2-3 tablespoons of dough to form a ball and then roll each ball in granulated sugar. Transfer to cookie sheet and repeat until your cookie sheet is full. Space the cookies about 2" apart.
Bake for 10 -11 minutes.
Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to let cool.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE COOKIES:
These cookies will last in an airtight bag or container on the counter for up to 4 days.
You can also store the raw cookie dough or baked (cooled) cookies in an airtight container or freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to use the dough, remove from freezer and let soften up just enough so you can easily form balls of dough. Then, follow recipe instructions.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more of my favorite cookie recipes!
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies – Soft and chewy oatmeal raisin cookies spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg make for the perfect sweet snack.
- Thumbprint Cookies with Strawberry Jam – Soft and chewy Thumbprint Cookies with strawberry jam sprinkled with powdered sugar. These cookies exceeded my expectations!
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies – These cookies have the perfect outside crunch with a soft, chocolatey, chewy center like a brownie.
- Gingersnaps – A classic holiday cookie recipe made with warm spices and molasses. With a crispy outer layer and slightly soft inner layer, these gingersnap cookies will transport you to Christmas morning.
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies – These Chocolate Sugar Cookies are soft and chewy perfection.
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup butter room temperature
- ¼ cup canola/vegetable oil
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- granulated sugar for rolling about ⅓ cup
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together sugar, butter and oil. Mix over medium speed until smooth. Add vanilla and then the eggs, one at a time.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the mixer about 1 cup at a time with the mixer on medium speed until well incorporated.
- Place cookie dough in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Once the dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll 2-3 tablespoons of dough to form a ball and then roll each ball in granulated sugar. Transfer to cookie sheet and repeat until your cookie sheet is full. Space the cookies about 2" apart.
- Bake for 10 -11 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to let cool.