Slow Cooker Chili w/ Chicken and Sweet Potato – A warm and cozy chili full of delicious flavors like shredded chicken, sweet potato, beans, and warm spices. I love a recipe that is super simple but delivers big on flavor and this is definitely one of them.
A few things I love about this slow cooker chili:
- Healthy – Packed with healthy ingredients like sweet potatoes, kidney beans, black beans, chicken, garlic, and tomato sauce.
- Super easy! – It is so easy to make! The only real prepping you have to do is peel and chop the sweet potatoes. Everything else you just pop right in your crockpot.
- Comfort food for cold weather – With cooler weather making its big debut, I like to warm up my house with meals cooked in my slow cooker and in the oven. Not only does it warm up my house but eating the hot chili on a cool day is perfection!
What all goes into Slow Cooker Chili w/ Chicken and Sweet Potato:
- Chicken Breast – Skinless, boneless. You can also use chicken thighs.
- Sweet Potatoes – Peeled and cubed. Or you can use yams.
- Garlic Cloves – Fresh garlic, minced. Jarred minced garlic will also work, about 1/2 tbsp. I do not recommend using garlic powder in this recipe.
- Kidney Beans – 15.5 oz. can, drained
- Black Beans – 15.5 oz. can, drained
- Tomato Sauce – 8 oz. can. You can also use fresh tomatoes, pureed.
- Seasonings – Chili powder+Cumin+Oregano+Paprika+Black Pepper+Salt
- Mustard – I used grainy mustard, but you can use yellow or whatever mustard you have on hand.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
How to make Slow Cooker/Crockpot Chili:
Making this chili is very simple. Peel and chop sweet potatoes into 1/4″ cubes then toss into the crockpot. Place chicken breast in the crockpot along with all the seasonings, apple cider vinegar, beans, garlic, mustard and tomato sauce. Give it a stir and place the lid on your slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. When finished, using a fork, find the chicken and shred it. You are ready to serve!
Chili Topping options:
- Sour cream
- Cheese, shredded
- Green onions
- Red pepper flakes
- Hot sauce
- Tortilla strips
More of my favorite chili/soup recipes to try:
How long do I cook chili in a crockpot?
With your slow cooker on the low heat setting, cook for 7-8 hours. With your slow cooker on the high heat setting, cook for 4 hours.
Slow Cooker Chili w/ Chicken and Sweet Potato
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans drained
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained
- 1/2 tbsp mustard grainy or yellow
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into 1/4" chunks.
- Place the remaining ingredients into the crockpot along with the sweet potatoes and give it a stir. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- When finished, find the chicken in the crockpot and break it up with a fork. Serve with sour cream and chopped green onions.