Stovetop Chicken Chili – Warm and comforting stovetop chicken chili loaded with chicken, black and kidney beans, corn, tomatoes, jalapeño and onions.
Although this chili takes less an hour to make, it is full of those delicious chili flavors we all know and love! We topped our chili with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions and a little hot sauce. It was absolutely delicious!
This chili recipe serves about four people. If you are cooking for a large crowd, you can easily double this recipe. Store leftovers completely cooled in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. You can reheat chili on the stove over medium-low heat or in the microwave.
Ingredients you need to make Chicken Chili on the stovetop:
- Chicken Breasts or Thighs – You’ll need about one large boneless, skinless chicken breasts/thighs or equivalent to a half pound.
- Black Beans – One 15 oz. can, drained.
- Kidney Beans – One 15 oz. can, drained.
- Tomato Sauce – One 8 oz. can, drained.
- Onion – You’ll need one small yellow, white or red onion.
- Jalapeno – One medium jalapeno, seeds removed. If you don’t like heat, you can skip this step.
- Garlic Cloves – Fresh garlic is best in this recipe, but you can substitute an additional 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- Corn – I used frozen corn, but you can use drained canned or fresh corn cut off the cob.
- Salt – I almost always use sea salt in my recipes, but you can use regular table salt or whatever you have on hand.
- Black Pepper – I prefer freshly cracked black pepper, but you can use ground as well.
- Cumin – Adds a delicious warm flavor to the chili.
- Chili Powder – A good quality chili powder is best. You cannot skip this step!
- Cayenne Powder – Adds a delicious spice to the chili.
- Diced Tomatoes – You’ll need one 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes.
- Sour Cream – Optional topping.
- Cheddar Cheese – Shredded, optional topping.
*Full measurements listed below.
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
- Dutch Oven or Large Saucepan – To cook make the chili in.
- Stirring Spoon – For stirring the chili while cooking.
- Measuring Cups + Spoons – To properly measure all of your ingredients.
- Cutting Board – To chop and prepare the veggies.
- Chef Knife – To chop and prepare the veggies.
How to make Stovetop Chicken Chili:
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped chicken, salt, and pepper to the hot oil and cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Sprinkle in the onion and jalapeño and cook for another 3-5 minutes until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through. Add remaining ingredients to the pot and stir.
Bring chili to a low simmer and cook on low for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove chili from heat and let cool slightly. Serve with cheese, sour cream and green onions (optional). Enjoy!
*Store leftover chili completely cooled in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Here are a few of my favorite breads/chips to serve with my homemade chili:
- Skillet Cornbread – Moist, buttery and delicious homemade cornbread baked in a cast iron skillet. A touch of honey and fresh corn takes this cornbread to the next level. Slice and serve warm with butter and honey.
- Homemade Tortilla Chips – Super easy and delicious tortilla chips made from scratch! These are super easy to make and way better than store bought.
- Easy Homemade Garlic Bread – Classic garlic bread recipe with one secret ingredient that places this garlic bread above the rest. Serve warm with your favorite pastas, salads and soups.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are few more of my favorite Chili/Soup recipes I think you’ll love:
- Creamy Chicken Taco Soup – Easiest taco soup recipe cooked on the stovetop with shredded chicken, pinto beans, tomato and corn in a creamy flavor packed soup finished with cilantro and lime juice.
- Slow Cooker Chili w/ Chicken and Sweet Potato – A warm and cozy chili full of delicious flavors like shredded chicken, sweet potato, beans, and warm spices. I love a recipe that is super simple but delivers big on flavor and this is definitely one of them.
- Chicken Noodle Soup – Healthy one pot chicken noodle soup loaded with chicken, broth, carrots, celery, onions and herbs.
- Minestrone Soup – Made with veggies, beans and noodles in a delicious tomato based broth. This minestrone soup is super easy to make and really hits the spot!
Stovetop Chicken Chili
- 1/2 lb. chicken breast cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans drained
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- sour cream optional
- shredded cheese optional
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped chicken, salt, and pepper to the hot oil and cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Add the onion and jalapeño and cook for another 3-5 minutes until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot and stir. Bring chili to a low simmer and cook on low for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove chili from heat and let cool slightly. Serve with cheese, sour cream and green onions (optional). Enjoy!
This recipe was originally published on November 13, 2018 and updated on December 8, 2020.