Broccoli Beef Skewers - Marinated steak and broccoli skewers grilled to perfection and finished with a delicious sticky basting sauce. If you love take-out style "Beef and Broccoli", you are going to love this BBQ version!
Spring is here and summer is right around the corner! Which means it's time to dust off your barbecue and get ready for grilling.
These Broccoli Beef Skewers are the perfect thing to kick off grilling season! The steak is cut into cubes and marinated in the most delicious Asian style sauce. After the steak is done marinating, it is skewered with fresh broccoli florets and sliced onion.
Inspired by one of my favorite take-out style meals "Beef and Broccoli", this grilled version is going to blow your mind! After the skewers are done grilling, they are basted in a sticky sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds and chopped green onion.
We served our skewers with steamed rice. You can pair your skewers with your favorite grilling side dishes. I'll link a few of my favorites for you below. This recipe makes about 8 skewers serving 4-8 people depending on everyones appetite.
Ingredients you need to make Broccoli Beef Skewers:
Tri-Tip Steak - Or similar! You can use any boneless steak in this recipe or even beef roast.
Broccoli Florets - You'll need about 24 broccoli florets. You can cut florets off a large heard of broccoli or you can buy bagged fresh pre-trimmed broccoli florets.
Onion - We used sweet onion in this recipe. You can also use red, white or yellow onion.
Soy Sauce - I recommend using low sodium soy sauce, but you can use regular as well.
Brown Sugar - You can use light or dark brown sugar. Both work great.
Garlic - Fresh minced garlic is best in this recipe.
Rice Vinegar - If you don't have rice vinegar, you can also use white wine vinegar.
Sesame Oil - A good quality pure sesame oil. You can find this at any grocery store.
Honey - For the basting glaze.
Ketchup - For the basting glaze.
Sesame Seeds - Optional garnish.
Chopped Green Onions - Optional garnish.
**Full ingredient list and instructions listed below.
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
- Grill – I used a propane grill, but you can also use a charcoal grill or even a grill pan on your stovetop.
- Tongs – Grilling tongs for turning the skewers with cooking.
- Mixing Bowls – For mixing up the marinade.
- Measuring Cups + Spoons – To properly measure all of the ingredients.
- Skewers – This recipe makes about 8-10 skewers. If using wood skewers, make sure you soak them for at least 2 hours to try to prevent them from burning.
- Cutting Board + Chef Knife – For prepping all the veggies and steak.
How to cook Broccoli Beef Skewers on the grill:
Cut steak into 1 ½″ cubes and place in a large storage bag or bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together minced garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and sesame oil. Reserve about a third of this sauce in the fridge for basting later.
Pour remaining marinade over steak cubes and toss to fully coat. Cover and place steak in the fridge to let marinade for at least 4 hours up to overnight.
Skewer the kabobs using 3 pieces of steak, 3 broccoli florets, and 3 slices of onion.
Grab the reserve marinade and whisk in ketchup and honey.
Heat your grill to medium heat.
Add skewers to the hot grill, turning every 2-3 minutes to cook all sides evenly for a total of about 15 minutes. During the last few turns, baste with sauce.
When done, skewers will have nice char marks and meat will be tender (about 145-150 degrees for a medium cook). If you like them more well done, leave on for a bit longer.
Serve skewers with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Enjoy with your favorite side dishes!
Best ever grilling side dishes:
Classic American Potato Salad - The perfect bbq side dish recipe for your upcoming summer BBQ’s! Made with hard boiled eggs, this classic potato salad is creamy and delicious!
Grilled Zucchini - The most delicious zucchini seasoned with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad - Creamy and delicious Hawaiian macaroni salad is an excellent side dish to serve with your favorite grilling recipes. My recipe is super easy to make and is always a crowd pleaser!
Grilled Mexican Corn - Also known as “Mexican Street Corn” or “Elote”. First the corn is grilled and then basted in a delicious creamy lime sauce sprinkled with fresh cilantro and chili powder.
Creamy Macaroni Salad - Super creamy and delicious Classic American Macaroni Salad is the perfect side dish for cookouts and picnics! Made with fresh peppers, onions, celery and pickle in a sweet creamy sauce.
Best skewer recipes to cook on the grill:
Teriyaki Chicken Skewers - The most delicious marinated teriyaki chicken grilled to perfection and finished with a delicious teriyaki sauce. Serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and fresh chopped green onions over steamed rice.
Hawaiian Beef Skewers - Sightly sweet, super delicious grilled Hawaiian style beef skewers made with tender pieces of steak, pineapple, red bell pepper and sweet onion. The beef is marinated in a flavor-packed sauce in the fridge prior to grilling that gives these skewers to most amazing flavor!
BBQ Pork Skewers with Filipino BBQ Marinade - Delicious grilled pork skewers in a homemade sticky, sweet, and spicy Filipino style BBQ marinade. This grilled pork recipe is one of my favorite things to cook on the grill. They are loaded with flavor and pair well with so many different side dishes!
Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce - Delicious Southeast Asian marinated grilled chicken skewers served with a creamy peanut dipping sauce. A delicious traditional Southeast Asian dish consisting of skewered chicken marinated in warm middle eastern flavors then grilled to perfection on the barbecue.
Broccoli Beef Skewers
- 2 lbs. Tri-Tip Steak boneless cut into 1 ½" chunks
- 24 Broccoli Florets
- 1 Large Sweet Onion cut into 1 ½" chunks
- ⅓ cup Soy Sauce low sodium
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds garnish
- 2 tablespoon Chopped Green Onions garnish
- Cut steak into 1 ½″ cubes and place in a large storage bag or bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together minced garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and sesame oil. Reserve about a third of this sauce in the fridge for basting later.
- Pour remaining marinade over steak cubes and toss to fully coat. Cover and place steak in the fridge to let marinade for at least 4 hours up to overnight.
- Skewer the kabobs using 3 pieces of steak, 3 broccoli florets, and 3 slices of onion.
- Grab the reserve marinade and whisk in ketchup and honey.
- Heat your grill to medium heat.
- Add skewers to the hot grill, turning every 2-3 minutes to cook all sides evenly for a total of about 15 minutes. During the last few turns, baste with sauce.
- When done, skewers will have nice char marks and meat will be tender (about 145-150 degrees for a medium cook). If you like them more well done, leave on for a bit longer.
- Serve skewers with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Enjoy with your favorite side dishes!