Fresh Spaghetti Pomodoro Recipe – Best easy homemade pomodoro sauce made with fresh tomatoes, basil, onions, and garlic. Tossed with spaghetti and finished with fresh grated parmesan cheese.
Not only is my homemade Pomodoro Sauce absolutely delicious, but it is so simple to make! Using fresh ingredients really makes a huge impact on the flavor of the sauce so I highly recommend fresh basil, tomatoes and garlic.
We served our Spaghetti Pomodoro with freshly grated parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for added heat. This recipe will serve about 4 people. If you are cooking for a larger crowd, simply double the recipe.
What is Pomodoro Sauce made of?
Homemade pomodoro sauce is made using fresh tomatoes, garlic, onions, basil, olive oil, butter and salt. I like to add fresh grated parmesan cheese to the sauce as well.
Fresh Tomatoes – Grape, cherry or cocktail tomatoes are best in this recipe.
Garlic – You’ll need about 4 cloves of fresh garlic.
Onion – Red, yellow, white or sweet onions all work great in this recipe.
Basil – Fresh basil is highly recommended in this recipe. If you don’t have fresh basil, you can substitute for 1 tsp dried.
Parmesan Cheese – Fresh grated parmesan cheese off the block is my favorite. You can also use pre-shredded.
Olive Oil – A good quality extra virgin olive oil.
Butter – Salted or unsalted butter.
Salt – Any table salt you have on hand. I almost always use sea salt in my recipes.
Spaghetti – You can use regular spaghetti, thin spaghetti or any short cut pasta.
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
- Enameled Cast Iron Skillet or Large Pot – To cook your pasta in!
- Cooking Spoon – For stirring and cooking your pomodoro sauce.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons – To properly measure all of your ingredients.
- Cutting Board + Chef Knife – For chopping veggies.
- Garlic Mincer – To mince your garlic or you can use a fine grater.
- Cheese Grater – If you are shredding cheese off the block.
How to make the best Fresh Spaghetti Pomodoro Sauce:
Cook spaghetti according to package instructions for al dente. RESERVE 3/4 CUP PASTA WATER for pomodoro sauce. When done, drain pasta and set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, add olive oil, butter and onions. Cook until onions are tender.
Add minced garlic, tomatoes and salt to the onions. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 25 minutes until tomatoes are very soft. Stir occasionally.
Break up tomatoes using your cooking spoon or spatula. Add hot pasta water to the sauce and stir to combine. Sprinkle in parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil. Cook for another 5 minutes or so until sauce lightly thickens.
Toss spaghetti into the pomodoro sauce and serve with more fresh grated parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes(optional). Enjoy!!
How to store leftover pomodoro pasta:
Store leftover pasta completely cooled in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
To reheat pasta, you can reheat in the microwave using 30 second increments and stirring in between. You can also reheat this pasta on the stovetop by adding a couple tablespoons of water over low heat and stirring frequently.
Side dishes to serve with pasta:
Rustic French Bread – Dutch oven bread recipe you can easily make in the comfort of your home! There is nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread. Serve homemade french bread sliced with warm butter.
Easy Homemade Garlic Bread – Classic garlic bread recipe with one secret ingredient that places this garlic bread above the rest. Serve warm with your favorite pastas, salads and soups.
Simple Caesar Salad – My quick and easy caesar salad is made with homemade dressing, crunchy romaine, croutons and freshly shaved parmesan cheese.
More Pasta Recipes You’ll Love:
One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta – Easy flavor-packed one pot chicken parmesan pasta made simply with fresh herbs and melty mozzarella cheese. The best part about this comfort meal is that it is budget friendly, kid friendly and is so easy to make.
Turkey Spaghetti – The most easy and delicious Turkey Spaghetti using simple ingredients you have in your fridge/pantry. Done in under 30 minutes, we make this recipe at least one night a week!
Creamy Tomato Cajun Chicken Pasta – Cajun chicken and farfalle pasta tossed in deliciously creamy tomato sauce sprinkled with fresh chopped parsley and green onions.
Southwest Chicken Alfredo – Creamy and delicious southwest style chicken pasta is the perfect easy dinner recipe. Made with seasoned pan seared chicken, onions, garlic and penne pasta tossed in a mouthwatering southwest style cream sauce.
Fresh Spaghetti Pomodoro
- 1/2 lb Thin Spaghetti
- 1 lb Grape or Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 cup Onion diced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 8-10 Fresh Basil Leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 3/4 cup Hot Pasta Water reserved from cooking spaghetti
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions for al dente. RESERVE 3/4 CUP PASTA WATER for pomodoro sauce. When done, drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, add olive oil, butter and onions. Cook until onions are tender.
- Add minced garlic, tomatoes and salt to the onions. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 25 minutes until tomatoes are very soft. Stir occasionally.
- Break up tomatoes using your cooking spoon or spatula. Add hot pasta water to the sauce and stir to combine. Sprinkle in parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil. Cook for another 5 minutes or so until sauce lightly thickens.
- Toss spaghetti into the pomodoro sauce and serve with more fresh grated parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes(optional). Enjoy!!
My family absolutely loved this pasta! Will definitely make this again.
It’s easy to make and so fresh, we love it!