Simple Caesar Salad - My quick and easy caesar salad is made with homemade dressing, crunchy romaine, croutons and freshly shaved parmesan cheese. Serve this salad with grilled chicken for a healthy dinner or lunch or as a simple flavor packed side salad.
My husband absolutely loves caesar salad and so do I! Which is why this is one of my favorite salads to make. You can serve this salad with your favorite main courses like pastas, dinner meats, and so much more. Caesar salad also is great on it's own!
This recipe serves about 2-4 people depending on if you are serving as a main course or side salad. We usually serve as a side salad unless we are topping it with grilled chicken. I'll link a few of my absolute favorite main courses to serve with homemade caesar salad for you below.
Ingredients you need to make Caesar Salad at home:
Romaine Lettuce- Fresh head of romaine lettuce is best in this recipe. You can also use precut bagged romaine, but I prefer freshly cut off the head. You can substitute romaine lettuce for kale, chard, or spinach.
Parmesan Cheese - I prefer to shave/grate parmesan cheese off a block. A good quality parmesan cheese is best. However, you can also purchase pre-shaved parmesan cheese in a tub.
Sliced Brioche Bread - Or similar. I used sliced artisan brioche bread, but you can also use sliced french bread, sourdough, and more!
Black Pepper - I almost always use fresh cracked black pepper but you can also use ground.
Garlic Clove - For the caesar dressing. I don't recommend substituting for powder.
Lemon - About a half of a lemon juiced or equivalent to two tablespoons of lemon juice.
Mustard - I used yellow mustard, but you can also use dijon or fresh ground.
Mayonnaise - A good quality full fat mayo is best.
Worcestershire Sauce - Adds a delicious flavor to the dressing.
Olive Oil - I used light extra virgin olive oil in this recipe.
Tools to have on hand:
How to make Homemade Caesar Salad Dressing:
To make the dressing: Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend over low speed or pulse until smooth. (Makes about 1 cup - Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days)
How to make the easiest homemade croutons:
To make the croutons: Cut brioche bread into 1" cubes. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden. Remove and let cool.
How to make homemade Caesar Salad:
In a large bowl add chopped romaine lettuce and drizzle in a few tablespoons of caesar dressing. Toss to coat lettuce. Sprinkle top with croutons, shaved parmesan, cracked black pepper. Drizzle top with more caesar dressing. Enjoy!
If you want to make this salad super duper easy - You can use store bought croutons and caesar dressing!
Main courses that pair perfectly with a simple caesar salad:
One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta - Easy flavor-packed one pot chicken parmesan pasta made simply with fresh herbs and melty mozzarella cheese. The best part about this comfort meal is that it is budget friendly, kid friendly and is so easy to make.
Southwest Chicken Alfredo - Creamy and delicious southwest style chicken pasta is the perfect easy dinner recipe. Made with seasoned pan seared chicken, onions, garlic and penne pasta tossed in a mouthwatering southwest style cream sauce.
Slow Cooked Tender London Broil - This London broil recipe is super easy and absolutely melt in your mouth delicious. The flavor is slightly sweet but mostly savory. If you are looking for a tender, pull-apart London broil recipe that takes very little effort from start to finish, look no further!
Shredded Chicken Enchiladas - Shredded salsa chicken wrapped in tortillas with jack and cheddar cheeses smothered in red enchilada sauce baked to perfection!
French Onion Pot Roast - Tender and delicious pot roast recipe cooked to pull-apart perfection in a slow cooker layered with tender onions in a savory sauce. This pot roast is the ultimate easy comfort meal perfect for any night of the week!
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more recipes I think you'll enjoy:
- Spinach Apple Salad - Easiest healthy salad made with spinach, apples, cranberries, walnuts, cheddar cheese chunks and pepitas served with homemade honey mustard dressing.
- Chicken Salad with Cranberries - Made with shredded rotisserie chicken, dried cranberries and celery. This chicken salad is simple and delicious! It goes great on a sandwich, on top of crackers as an appetizer, or just by itself!
- Creamy Classic Coleslaw - My classic coleslaw recipe is made with a delicious slightly sweet and creamy homemade coleslaw dressing. Serve as a barbecue side dish, on pulled pork sandwiches, tacos and more!
Simple Caesar Salad
- 1 head of romaine lettuce chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shaved
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Caesar Salad Dressing:
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ lemon juiced
- ¾ teaspoon mustard
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¾ teaspoon worcestershire
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 3 slices brioche bread or similar
- To make the croutons: Cut brioche bread into 1" cubes. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden. Remove and let cool.
- To make the dressing: Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend over low speed or pulse until smooth. (Makes about 1 cup - Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days)
- In a large bowl add chopped romaine lettuce and drizzle in a few tablespoons of caesar dressing. Toss to coat lettuce. Sprinkle top with croutons, shaved parmesan, cracked black pepper. Drizzle top with more caesar dressing. Enjoy!
This post was originally published on September 17, 2018 and updated on April 8, 2021.