Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies – Golden chewy chocolate chip cookies made with salted pretzels. If you are looking for a delicious dessert with the perfect amount of sweet and salty, these cookies are it!
Lately, I’ve been really wanting to incorporate pretzels in a dessert. I thought about doing a brownie recipe (which I will do soon) but, then I thought salted pretzels with chocolate in a buttery cookie would be the perfect sweet and salty treat!
In a time crunch for a fast desert recipe? These are the cookies for you! They only take about 20 minutes from start to finish!
Ingredients you need for this recipe:
- All-Purpose Flour – Unbleached, pre-sifted flour is best for this recipe.
- Eggs – For structure, moisture and richness in your cookie. I shared a delicious egg substitution below. (hint: It’s Greek yogurt)
- Brown Sugar – I use light brown sugar in this recipe.
- White Sugar – Regular white granulated sugar is what I always use. You can also use an organic cane sugar.
- Butter – I always use unsalted butter. Salted butter is good too, just half the salt in this recipe.
- Baking Soda – This is key to help your cookie rise while baking and will also give the cookie that golden goodness everyone loves.
- Vanilla Extract – I’ve used pure vanilla extract and I’ve used vanilla flavoring in this recipe and they both work great.
- Salt – I use sea salt in almost all my baking recipes. If you only have regular kosher salt or iodized, that’s fine too.
- Pretzels – Salted mini pretzels. I used Snyders Mini Pretzels, but you can use whatever brand you prefer. I broke them up into small pieces.
- Chocolate Chips – You can use whatever chocolate chips you prefer! I used semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Tools to have on hand when making cookies from scratch:
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- baking sheet
- cooling rack
- measuring cups and spoons
- parchment paper
- spoon or cookie scoop
How to make Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies from scratch:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Break up the pretzels into smaller pieces and set aside for later.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat sugars and butter until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips and pretzel pieces.
Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto a lightly greased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Bake in preheated oven for 9-11 minutes until toothpick runs through the cookie clean.
Transfer cookies to cooling rack to let cool. Enjoy!
Greek Yogurt as an egg substitution in cookies:
If you are anything like me and have been super excited to make a batch of cookies and then went “Whoops! I have no eggs!” Then, I’m here to tell you Greek yogurt can save you in this situation. I’ve used Greek yogurt in cupcakes and cookies and it gives the dessert a slightly tangy flavor but also gives a moist, chewy and delicious texture. I tried this recipe substituting eggs for yogurt and they turned out fantastic!
**When substituting Greek yogurt for eggs, use two tablespoons of Greek yogurt for one egg.
How to bake cookies ahead of time and how to properly store raw cookie dough:
For a short storage time: These cookies will last in an airtight bag or container on the counter for 5-7 days.
For a longer storage time: You can store raw cookie dough or baked (cooled) cookies in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. When you are ready to use the dough, remove from freezer and let come to room temperature. Then, simply follow baking instructions according to recipe.
Here are a few more cookie recipes I think you’ll enjoy:
- Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Thumbprint Cookies with Strawberry Jam
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 2/3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup mini pretzels broken up
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Break up the pretzels into smaller pieces and set aside for later.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat sugars and butter until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips and pretzel pieces.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto a lightly greased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 9-11 minutes until toothpick runs through the cookie clean.
- Transfer cookies to cooling rack to let cool. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply