Slow Cooker chicken in an Asian style bbq sauce make for a super delicious and easy dinner recipe! This recipe is kid friendly and budget friendly. We used bone-in chicken thighs in this recipe, but you can also use boneless thighs or breasts.
Serve your chicken with steamed rice, mashed potatoes, grilled veggies and so much more! We served ours with steamed broccoli and rice pilaf. It was absolutely delicious.
This chicken makes great leftovers too! Store completely cooled leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat chicken, place in the microwave for about 30 seconds to a minute.
Ingredients you need to make Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs:
Chicken Thighs - I used bone in chicken thighs, you can also use boneless chicken thighs or breasts.
Ketchup - Ketchup is best in this recipe, but you can also use tomato sauce if you don't have ketchup on hand.
Soy Sauce - You can use low sodium or regular soy sauce. I always use low sodium.
Garlic - Fresh garlic cloves is best for the sauce in this recipe.
Honey - For added sweetness to your sauce. I used a regular unflavored honey.
Worcestershire Sauce - Adds a delicious flavor to the sauce.
Sriracha - For added spice. You can also use sambal oelek.
Onion Powder - Not granulated onion or onion salt.
Garlic Powder - Not garlic salt.
Salt - I use sea salt in almost all of my recipes, but you can use any salt you have on hand.
Black Pepper - Fresh cracked or ground black pepper.
Paprika - You can used smoked or regular paprika.
Cornstarch - To thicken sauce after chicken cooks.
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
- Slow Cooker/Crockpot - To cook your chicken in. You may also use an instant pot on slow cooker mode.
- Measuring Cups/Spoons - To properly measure your ingredients.
- Large Skillet - To sear the chicken thighs prior to slow cooking.
- Tongs - For flipping chicken while searing.
- Small Mixing Bowl - Mixing the sauce that goes over the chicken while cooking.
How to make Slow Cooker Saucy Chicken Thighs:
In a small bowl, mix all of the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
In another bowl, mix garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Season chicken all over with spices.
Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Carefully add chicken thighs to the hot skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until golden. Flip over and cook for another 2 minutes until golden.
Transfer chicken thighs to your slow cooker. Pour sauce over chicken thighs. Cook chicken on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
When the chicken is almost done, whisk together cornstarch and water. Remove chicken thighs from slow cooker, add cornstarch mixture and mix to thicken sauce. Pour sauce over chicken and serve!
Side dishes to serve with slow cooker chicken:
Creamy Mashed Potatoes - Easy, creamy, buttery mashed potatoes sprinkled with fresh parsley. When it comes to mashed potatoes, the more butter the better!
Roasted Rosemary Garlic Potatoes - Fresh rosemary and garlic baked red potatoes with a light golden crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
Simple Mac and Cheese - Super easy and creamy macaroni and cheese recipe. Making a delicious mac and cheese at home from scratch has never been easier! This is the perfect side dish recipe and also a fun kid friendly meal!
Balsamic Glazed Carrots - Quick and easy balsamic glazed baby carrots with a hint of lemon and honey. These are perfect for a healthy side dish to pair with your lunch or dinner!
Fried Rice - Super simple take out style homemade fried rice with carrots and peas. Serve this delicious side dish with your favorite Asian main courses.
Popular Slow Cooker recipes I think you'll love:
Slow Cooker Lasagna - Easy and delicious lasagna made in a crockpot/slow cooker. This lasagna is this ultimate simple meal planning recipe!
French Onion Pot Roast - Tender and delicious pot roast recipe cooked to pull-apart perfection in a slow cooker layered with tender onions in a savory sauce. This pot roast is the ultimate easy comfort meal perfect for any night of the week!
Slow Cooked Tender London Broil - This London broil recipe is super easy and absolutely melt in your mouth delicious. The flavor is slightly sweet but mostly savory. If you are looking for a tender, pull-apart London broil recipe that takes very little effort from start to finish, look no further!
Slow Cooker Saucy Chicken Thighs
- 4-6 Chicken Thighs (bone-in)
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Water
- ½ cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 3 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- In a small bowl, mix all of the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Season chicken all over with spices.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Carefully add chicken thighs to the hot skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until golden. Flip over and cook for another 2 minutes until golden.
- Transfer chicken thighs to your slow cooker. Pour sauce over chicken thighs. Cook chicken on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- When the chicken is almost done, whisk together cornstarch and water. Remove chicken thighs from slow cooker, add cornstarch mixture and mix to thicken sauce. Pour sauce over chicken and serve!