Classic Brownie Recipe - The perfect homemade brownie recipe! These classic brownies are chocolatey, fudgy and absolutely melt in your mouth delicious. Top a warm brownie with vanilla ice cream for the best sweet treat!
When I'm craving chocolate, brownies are my go-to homemade dessert for a quick fix. My recipe is not only extremely delicious, but they are super easy to make! What could be better? Serve these brownies to your friends and family or bring them to your next get together! They are great for birthday parties, pot lucks and so much more.
I am so excited to share this easy Classic Brownie Recipe with you all! This recipe will make sixteen 2"x2" brownies. So, if you are cooking for a large crowd, you may want to make two batches. Let's get baking!
Ingredients you need to make Homemade Brownies:
All-Purpose Flour - I used unbleached white all-purpose flour. It is an extremely versatile flour perfect for baking brownies. You can also use bleached white flour.
Granulated Sugar - White granulated sugar or cane sugar both work in this recipe.
Baking Soda - To assist in the rising process.
Butter - Salted or unsalted butter both work great in this recipe.
Vegetable Oil - You can also use canola, avocado or coconut oil.
Water - To loosen up the wet ingredients.
Eggs - For a creamy, rich structure.
Salt - I almost always use sea salt in my recipes but you can use table salt as well.
Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips - The better quality the chocolate chips, the better your brownies will be! I love Nestle Toll House or Ghiradelli. You can also use dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips.
Vanilla Extract - A good quality vanilla is best.
Chopped Nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans) - Optional add-in!
Tools to have on hand:
- mixing bowl - For mixing the dry ingredients and wet ingredients.
- 8"x8" baking dish - To bake your brownies in! You can also use a 9"x9", the brownies will just be a bit thinner and will bake for 30 minutes.
- measuring cups and spoons - To properly measure all of your ingredients.
- small saucepan - To make the chocolate sauce.
- silicone spatula - For mixing and scooping the batter into your baking dish without leaving anything behind!
How to make the best Classic Brownie Recipe:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
In a small saucepan over low heat; add butter, oil, water and sugar. Stirring frequently, bring to a very low simmer, then remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips.
Transfer chocolate sauce to a large bowl and whisk in vanilla and eggs. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until fully combined.
Pour brownie mix into a lightly greased or a parchment paper lined 8"x8" baking dish.
Bake brownies for 30 minutes or until toothpick runs through and comes out mostly clean (a few crumbs are ok). Remove from oven to let cool.
Once the brownies have cooled, slice and serve. Enjoy!
How to store homemade brownies:
The absolute best way to store freshly baked brownies is to allow them to cool completely first. Then, place them in a tightly sealed storage bag or airtight container at room temperature.
If you want to store them in a container, make sure your container has a tight seal to ensure the brownies will stay fresh and not go stale. Brownies will last properly stored for up to 3-5 days at room temperature.
5 more easy dessert recipes:
Brown Butter White Chocolate Cookies - Soft and chewy white chocolate chip cookies made with browned butter have become my absolute favorite cookie to make. They are golden, buttery and irresistibly delicious! You are going to love them just as much as I do.
Chewy Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies - These chocolate chip cookies are thin, buttery, soft and chewy. In my opinion, there’s nothing better than a warm chocolate chip cookie dipped in cold milk!
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars - Chewy and delicious chocolate chip cookie bars are the perfect easy dessert recipe. Top a warm cookie bar with vanilla ice cream for absolute perfection!
Chocolate Sheet Cake - Moist and delicious rich chocolate cake with creamy homemade chocolate frosting. This is the perfect easy homemade birthday cake recipe!
Chocolate Crunch Rice Crispy Treats - Delicious rice crispy marshmallow treats with a chocolate crunch bar topping. These put a fun twist on the traditional “Rice Krispie Treats”.
Classic Brownie Recipe
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil or canola/avocado
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over low heat; add butter, oil, water and sugar. Stirring frequently, bring to a low simmer, then remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer chocolate sauce to a large bowl and whisk in vanilla and eggs. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until fully combined.
- Pour brownie mix into a lightly greased or a parchment paper lined 8"x8" baking dish.
- Bake brownies for 30 minutes or until toothpick runs through and comes out mostly clean(a few crumbs are ok). Remove from oven to let cool.
- Once the brownies have cooled, slice and serve. Enjoy!
This post was originally published on September 3, 2018 and updated on May 20, 2021.