Russian Tea Cakes - Buttery and delicious Russian Tea Cakes are the perfect addition to your Christmas cookie collection or just a satisfying sweet treat anytime of year.
Russian Tea Cake cookies are also known as "Mexican Wedding Cookies" or "Snowball Cookies". These cookies are super delicious and so easy to make! They are the perfect sweet treat to have at home or to bring to gathering with friends and family!
These cookies do not contain any eggs so if you are looking for a cookie recipe using what you have on hand and do not have eggs, these are perfect! I am so excited to share this recipe with you all! Let's get baking!
Ingredients you need to make Russian Tea Cakes:
- All-Purpose Flour - I used regular unbleached white all purpose flour in this recipe.
- Salt - I almost always use sea salt in all of my recipes.
- Powdered Sugar - "Confectioners Sugar" For the dough and to roll your cookies in after baking.
- Chopped almonds - You can also use pecans or walnuts.
- Vanilla extract - Pure vanilla extract is best.
- Butter - You can use salted or unsalted butter in this recipe.
Tools to have on hand when making these cookies:
- baking sheet - To bake your cookies on.
- cooling rack - For properly cooling the cookies after baking.
- measuring cups and spoons - Properly measure all of your ingredients.
- parchment paper - To prevent the cookies from sticking to your baking sheet while baking.
- small bowl - For the powdered sugar topping.
- mixing bowl - Mixing the cookie dough.
- fork - Rolling the cookies in powdered sugar after baked.
How to make Russian Tea Cakes from scratch:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, add butter, vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix to combine.
Using your fork, blend in the flour and salt. Fold in chopped almonds.
Roll cookies into 1" balls and transfer to parchment paper lined or lightly oil baking sheet.
Bake cookies for 11-12 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack.
Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar then let cool completely. Once completely cooled, roll cookies in powdered sugar again. Enjoy.
How to store freshly baked Russian Tea Cakes:
Store cooked completely cooled cookies in an airtight container on the counter for 3-5 days.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more recipes I think you'll love:
- Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies - The perfect soft and chewy cookies with delicious white chocolate chips and sweet cranberries.
- White Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cookies - Scrumptious chewy chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips have made it to the top of my cookie craving list. Serve with a cold glass of milk or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies - My chewy chunky peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips are soft, buttery and delicious!
- Thumbprint Cookies with Strawberry Jam - Soft and chewy Thumbprint Cookies with strawberry jam sprinkled with powdered sugar. These cookies exceeded my expectations!
Russian Tea Cakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter softened
- extra powdered sugar for rolling about ½ cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix to combine.
- Using your fork, blend in the flour and salt. Fold in chopped almonds.
- Roll cookies into 1" balls and transfer to parchment paper lined or lightly oil baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 11-12 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack.
- Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar then let cool completely. Once completely cooled, roll cookies in powdered sugar again. Enjoy.