Three Cheese Mashed Potatoes – Amazing creamy mashed potatoes made with cheddar, parmesan and cream cheese. These potatoes make for a super easy and delicious side dish to pair with your favorite main courses.
Homemade cheesy mashed potatoes are perfect for any occasion! If you are a mashed potato lover, then you are really going to love my elevated mashed potatoes loaded with three different cheeses. I’m so excited to share this recipe with you!
Serve with your favorite main courses like pot roast, pork roast, barbecued meats, and so much more! I will link some of my favorite recipes to serve with these mashed potatoes for you below. This recipe serves about 4-6 people. If you are cooking for a crowd, simply double the recipe.
Ingredients you need to make my cheesy mashed potatoes:
Russet Potatoes – You’ll need about 2 pounds of russet potatoes(6 large). You can also use golden or red potatoes.
Cream Cheese – Full fat cream cheese, half fat or neufchatel cheese all work great in this recipe!
Cheddar Cheese – I used sharp cheddar cheese in this recipe but you can also use mild cheddar or whatever you have on hand.
Parmesan Cheese – I recommend grating fresh parmesan off the block, but you can also use pre-shredded parmesan.
Milk – Vitamin D and low fat milk both work great in this recipe. You can also use nut milk.
Butter – I used unsalted butter, so if you are using salted, you may want to skip the extra salt in this recipe.
Salt – I almost always use sea salt in my recipes but you can also use regular table salt. – Skip if using salted butter.
Black Pepper – I prefer fresh cracked black pepper but you can also use ground black pepper.
Garlic Powder – Adds a delicious garlicky flavor to the potatoes. Be sure to use garlic powder and not garlic salt.
Tools to have for this recipe:
- Large Saucepan – To boil the potatoes in.
- Potato Masher – To mash the potatoes.
- Colander – To drain the water from the potatoes.
- Measuring cups + Spoons – For properly measuring all of your ingredients.
- Peeler – To peel the potatoes prior to boiling.
- Cutting Board + Chef Knife– For slicing/preparing the potatoes prior to cooking.
How to make Three Cheese Mashed Potatoes:
Place peeled, chopped potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring water to a boil for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
Drain potatoes in a colander then transfer back to the saucepan.
Add butter, cream cheese, garlic powder, salt and milk to the potatoes and begin mashing until creamy. Sprinkle in cheddar and parmesan cheeses and mix to combine. Season with a little bit of black pepper.
Serve mashed potatoes immediately with chopped green onions or a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley (optional). Enjoy!
My favorite main courses to serve with these yummy mashed potatoes:
- Slow Cooked Tender London Broil – This London broil recipe is super easy and absolutely melt in your mouth delicious. The flavor is slightly sweet but mostly savory. If you are looking for a tender, pull-apart London broil recipe that takes very little effort from start to finish, look no further!
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Brown Sugar Pork Roast – Tender and delicious pork roast slow cooked in a crockpot with a sticky balsamic brown sugar glaze. I love serving this pork roast over mashed potatoes or with steamed veggies and rice.
- Tender BBQ Beef Roast – The most delicious slow cooker pull-apart bbq beef tri tip roast. Serve over creamy mashed potatoes for absolute perfection. I am SO excited to share this recipe with you guys! It was a major hit in our house and I have a feeling it will be a hit in yours too.
- BBQ Pork Skewers with Filipino BBQ Marinade – Delicious grilled pork skewers in a homemade sticky, sweet, and spicy Filipino style BBQ marinade. This grilled pork recipe is one of my favorite things to cook on the grill. They are loaded with flavor and pair well with so many different side dishes!
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more potato recipes I think you’ll love:
Roasted Rosemary Garlic Potatoes – Fresh rosemary and garlic baked red potatoes with a light golden crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes – Easy, creamy, buttery mashed potatoes sprinkled with fresh parsley. When it comes to mashed potatoes, the more butter the better! Add a little cream cheese and sour cream and you have the most satisfying mashed potatoes.
Scalloped Potatoes – Thinly sliced potatoes layered in a creamy sauce with cheddar cheese baked to a golden perfection. I absolutely love this classic potato side dish recipe!
Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes – Tossed with crispy bacon, sweet cranberries and toasted pine nuts. Serve as super delicious healthy side dish recipe during the Holiday’s or anytime of year!
Three Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lb. Russet Potatoes peeled, cut into 2" cubes
- 3 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- Place peeled, chopped potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring water to a boil for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain potatoes in a colander then transfer back to the saucepan.
- Add butter, cream cheese, garlic powder, salt and milk to the potatoes and begin mashing until creamy. Sprinkle in cheddar and parmesan and mix to combine. Season with a little bit of black pepper.
- Serve mashed potatoes immediately with chopped green onions or a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley (optional). Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please don’t forget to leave a review. Thank you for stopping by!