Creamy Chicken Taco Soup – Easiest taco soup recipe cooked on the stovetop with shredded chicken, pinto beans, tomato and corn in a creamy flavor packed soup finished with cilantro and lime juice.
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
Making taco soup is easier than ever and only takes about 45 minutes from start to finish. The only real prep you need to do is chop the veggies and make the shredded chicken which is super easy to do. I used a rotisserie chicken which made it even easier and was really tasty.
Top your homemade Creamy Chicken Taco Soup with pico de gallo, chopped avocado, cotija cheese, tortilla chips and more! I served mine with fresh homemade flour tortillas, diced tomatoes, onion and avocado. It was absolutely delicious. I’ll link some of my favorite toppings for you to try below.
You can serve homemade taco soup as a main course, appetizer or side dish. Either way you really can’t go wrong! We served ours as a main course and dipped homemade flour tortillas in the soup which was so good. Chips are also great and add a nice salty taste.
This recipe serves about four people and makes great leftovers! If you are cooking for a crowd, simply double or even triple the recipe. If you enjoyed this recipe, I’ll link some more of my favorite soup and chili recipes for you below.
Ingredients you need to make Creamy Chicken Taco Soup:
- Cooked Shredded Chicken – Try my Easy Mexican Shredded Chicken or you can use a rotisserie chicken! I used rotisserie and it was so amazing.
- Oil – Olive, canola or vegetable oil to cook the onions in.
- Pinto Beans – I used one 15 oz. can.
- Diced Tomatoes – I used one 15 oz. can.
- Chicken Broth – I used one 15 oz. can. This equals to about 2 cups.
- Onion – Red onion is best in this recipe, but you can also use yellow, white, or sweet onion as well.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic is best in this recipe, but if you only have dried that would work too. Use 1/2 tsp dried garlic in substitution of fresh.
- Cream Cheese – Full fat cream cheese works best in this recipe, but you can also use neufchatel.
- Lime Juice – Juice from about a half of a lime.
- Cilantro – Fresh cilantro is best.
- Corn – I used frozen corn but you can also use canned corn or fresh corn cut off a cooked cob.
- Chili Powder + Cayenne + Oregano + Salt + Cumin – All dried seasonings.
- Optional Toppings: Avocado, sour cream, chopped onion, chopped tomato, cheese, tortilla chips.
How to make my super easy Creamy Chicken Taco Soup:
Start by adding oil to your dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat.
Add onion and cooked until soft. Then, add the garlic and cook until fragrant – about 1 minute.
Sprinkle in seasonings, canned diced tomatoes and the cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted into tomatoes.
Add remaining ingredients to the pot and give it a nice stir. Bring soup to a low simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove soup from heat and top with fresh chopped onion, tomato, avocado, cilantro and chips (optional). Enjoy!
What to serve with Homemade Taco Soup? Here are some delicious ideas that pair perfectly with this soup!
- Homemade Flour Tortillas – With only four simple ingredients, flour tortillas are surprisingly easy to make at home from scratch!
- Homemade Tortilla Chips – Store bought tortilla chips just don’t do the trick like warm homemade tortilla chips! And they are so easy to make!
- Spicy Pico de Gallo – Here is the easiest and tastiest pico de gallo recipe! Fresh pico on top of this soup is amazing!
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more recipes I think you’ll love:
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – Cooked on the stove using shredded rotisserie chicken and topped with homemade tortilla strips, fresh avocado and shredded jack cheese.
- Slow Cooker Pork Roast Chili – Pork roast pinto bean chili cooked low and slow in a crockpot/slow cooker. This is the easiest, most delicious pork chili ever and it more than exceeded my expectations!
- Slow Cooker Chili w/ Chicken and Sweet Potato – A warm and cozy chili full of delicious flavors like shredded chicken, sweet potato, beans, and warm spices.
- Ground Beef Chili – Hearty ground beef and bean chili cooked low and slow in a slow cooker/crockpot. Serve with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream!
If you tried this recipe, please don’t forget to leave a review!
Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 1/2 cups Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 1 15 oz Pinto Beans
- 1 15 oz Diced Tomatoes
- 1 15 oz Chicken Broth
- 1 Small Red Onion finely chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- 1/3 cup Cream Cheese room temperature
- 2 tsp Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Cilantro chopped
- 2/3 cup Corn I used frozen
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- chopped onion
- chopped tomato
- chopped cilantro
- chopped avocado
- Start by adding oil to your dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cooked until soft. Then, add the garlic and cook until fragrant – about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in seasonings, canned diced tomatoes and the cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted into tomatoes.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot and give it a nice stir. Bring soup to a low simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove soup from heat and top with fresh chopped onion, tomato, avocado, cilantro and chips (optional). Enjoy!