Slow Cooker Turkey Chili - This is the best chili recipe you'll ever make! Loaded with ground turkey, beans, veggies and spices cooked low and slow giving it the most amazing flavor-packed end result.
Turkey chili is the perfect dish to serve a large crowd because it's easy to make and most everyone loves chili! We like to serve our chili with shredded cheese, sliced avocado and sour cream.
We also love to serve chili with cornbread, dinner rolls or even spooned on top of a baked potato. This recipe will serve about 4-6 people. If you are cooking for a large crowd, simply double the recipe!
Ingredients you need to make The Best Turkey Chili:
Ground Turkey - You'll need two pounds of lean ground turkey. You can also use ground beef in this recipe if you prefer.
Onion - Red, yellow, sweet or white onion all work great. We used red onion.
Garlic - Fresh garlic is best in this recipe but if you don't have any on hand you can substitute for one teaspoon garlic powder.
Poblano Pepper - Poblano pepper is a dark green pepper full of amazing flavor. If you are having trouble finding one, you can also use green bell pepper instead.
Celery - One cup of fresh chopped celery will be needed. About 1-2 ribs.
Carrot - One cup of fresh chopped carrots. About 1-2 large carrots.
Jalapeno Pepper - Adds a nice heat to the chili. We removed the seeds from the pepper to prevent the chili from becoming too spicy. If you like spicy - leave the seeds.
Oregano - Fresh or dried oregano both work great.
Oil - Olive or avocado oil will be needed to cook down veggies prior to slow cooking.
Bay Leaf - You'll need one bay leaf. This will go in whole at the beginning and then removed from the chili prior to serving.
Diced Tomatoes - One fifteen ounce can of diced tomatoes. Or you can use fresh chopped tomatoes - two cups.
Tomato Sauce - One fifteen ounce can of tomato sauce or equivalent to two cups.
Cumin + Coriander + Cinnamon + Black Pepper + Salt + Chili Powder - You will need all of these seasonings to give the chili it's amazing flavor!
Broth - Beef, chicken or vegetable broth can be used. We used chicken bone broth. You'll need one cup or about a half of a fifteen ounce can.
Brown Sugar - Light or dark brown sugar. Or you can use honey or maple syrup as a substitution. You'll need one tablespoon.
Kidney Beans - Light or dark red kidney beans or you can use the substitutions listed for great northern beans below.
Great Northern Beans - You can use canellini beans or pinto beans as a substitution.
Mustard - I used yellow mustard or you can use grainy or dijon mustard.
Tools to have on hand:
- Slow Cooker/Crockpot – To cook your chili in.
- Cutting Board – Prepping the veggies.
- Chef Knife – Prepping the veggies.
- Measuring Spoons and Cups – To properly measure all of your ingredients.
- Skillet – To brown the ground turkey/veggies prior to adding to the slow cooker.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use Ground Beef instead of ground turkey in Chili?
Yes, you can use ground beef instead of ground turkey. You can also do half turkey and half beef. I would recommend using a leaner ground beef to prevent a greasy end result.
How to store leftover chili:
Let the chili cool down completely before storing. Once cooled, transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
Can I freeze leftover chili?
Yes! Let the chili cool down completely before storing. Transfer chili to freezer safe bags or containers and place in the freezer. Chili will last in the freezer for up to 4-6 months.
How to make the Best Turkey Chili Recipe:
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add carrots, celery, peppers, and onions and cook until tender.
Next, add ground turkey and garlic to the veggies and cook until turkey is browned.
Transfer mixture to your slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Remove bay leaf from chili before serving.
Serve chili with your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
Stovetop Instructions: If you prefer cooking on your stovetop, skip transferring to your slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients to your large pot on the stove and cook over low heat for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
Instant Pot Instructions: Instead of transferring cooked turkey/veggies to slow cooker, transfer to instant pot/pressure cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cook on chili/beans setting for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally.
Side Dishes To Pair with Chili:
Best Moist Cornbread - Delicious, fluffy and moist cornbread is the perfect pair for your favorite chili’s, grilled meats, and much more. Top with warm butter and honey for the perfect slice.
Homemade Flour Tortillas -I linked my homemade tortilla recipe here for you. Or you can use flour or corn store-bought tortillas.
Buttermilk Rolls - More like perfect Buttermilk Rolls – Warm, soft and fluffy buttermilk rolls with a golden outer crust make these the best buttermilk rolls ever.
*A few more ideas: I like to serve with my homemade chili with are steamed rice, bread bowl, or on top of a baked potato.
Fan Favorite Chili Recipes:
Slow Cooker Ground Beef Chili - Hearty ground beef and bean chili cooked low and slow in a slow cooker/crockpot. Serve with chopped green onions and a dollop of sour cream!
Crockpot Creamy White Chicken Chili - Easy, creamy and absolutely delicious white chicken chili recipe cooked low and slow in your crockpot!
Stovetop Chicken Chili - Warm and comforting stovetop chicken chili loaded with chicken, black and kidney beans, corn, tomatoes, jalapeño and onions.
Slow Cooker Chili w/ Chicken and Sweet Potato - A warm and cozy chili full of delicious flavors like shredded chicken, sweet potato, beans, and warm spices. I love a recipe that is super simple but delivers big on flavor and this is definitely one of them.
Best Turkey Chili Recipe
- 2 lbs Ground Turkey
- 2 cups Onion chopped
- 3 tablespoon Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Poblano Pepper chopped
- 1 cup Celery chopped
- 1 cup Carrot chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper chopped, seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon Oregano dried
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 15 oz. Diced Tomatoes can
- 1 15 oz. Tomato Sauce can
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon Coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 15 oz. Kidney Beans can, drained
- 1 15 oz. Great Northern Beans can, drained
- ½ teaspoon Salt + Black Pepper each
- 1 teaspoon Yellow Mustard
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, celery, peppers, and onions and cook until tender.
- Add ground turkey and garlic to the veggies and cook until turkey is browned.
- Transfer mixture to your slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. When done, remove bay leaf from chili.
- Serve chili with your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
- Stovetop Instructions: If you prefer cooking on your stovetop, skip transferring to your slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients to your large pot on the stove and cook over low heat for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Instant Pot Instructions: Instead of transferring cooked turkey/veggies to slow cooker, transfer to instant pot/pressure cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cook on chili/beans setting for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally.