Authentic Mexican Guacamole – Homemade guacamole made with fresh avocados, tomatillos, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. Serve with chips for the perfect appetizer.
This is my go-to guacamole recipe! I have been using for years and it never seems to disappoint. If you are looking for a quick and easy healthy snack, this is it! It’s not only super tasty, but you can whip it up in just a few minutes.
Serve guacamole with chips and salsa for a delicious appetizer. You can also serve on top of your favorite tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and more. This is going to be your new favorite easy homemade guacamole recipe! I am so excited to share it with you.
This recipe serves around four people, so if you are cooking for a crowd simply double the recipe. To store homemade guacamole, place guacamole in an airtight container in the fridge with avocado pit and lime wedges for up to a day. This will help delay guacamole from browning.
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
Ingredients you need to make guacamole:
- Avocados – You’ll need two large ripe avocados.
- Lime Juice – The juice from about half of a lime or equivalent to one tablespoon.
- Jalapeno – If you don’t like too much heat, remove the seeds.
- Tomatillo – You can substitute for a Roma tomato if you don’t have a tomatillo on hand.
- Cilantro – You’ll need about a tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic is best in this recipe. If you don’t have fresh, substitute 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- Salt – You can use sea salt or whatever salt you have on hand.
How to make Authentic Mexican Guacamole:
To make guacamole, begin by adding all of the ingredients, except for the avocado, to a blender/food processor and blend until smooth.
Carefully cut each avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop out the avocado and place in a bowl along with the blended salsa. Using a fork, smash the avocado and mix to combine.
Serve with chips and with your favorite main courses! Enjoy!
Main courses that pair perfectly with guacamole:
- Baked Chicken Taquitos – Crispy homemade chicken taquitos are the perfect main course or appetizer.
- Baked Chicken Flautas – Shredded chicken rolled in flour tortillas baked to crispy perfection. These flautas make for a perfect appetizer, party food, lunch or dinner!
- Carne Asada Street Tacos – Delicious marinated carne asada served on grilled corn tortillas with cilantro, onion, sliced radishes and avocado salsa verde.
- Slow Cooked Al Pastor Tacos – Mexican style al pastor pork slow cooked in the oven. Serve on hot tortillas with fresh pineapple salsa.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more Salsa/Dip recipes I think you’ll love:
- Spicy Pineapple Avocado Salsa – Fresh chunks of pineapple, avocado, tomatoes, peppers and cilantro with a touch of fresh lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Avocado Salsa Verde – Fresh and authentic Mexican style avocado salsa verde. The perfect salsa to top your tacos, burritos, chips and more!
- Instant Pot Mexican Refried Beans -The easiest, most delicious authentic style Mexican refried beans made in an instant pot (pressure cooker)!
Authentic Mexican Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tomatillo cut into fours
- 1/2 jalapeno stem removed
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add all ingredients except for the avocado to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Carefully cut each avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop out the avocado and place in a bowl. Add blended salsa to the bowl and using a fork smash the avocado and mix to combine.
- Serve with chips or with your favorite main courses!
This post was originally published on September 25, 2018 and updated on September 2, 2020.