Instant Pot Mexican Refried Beans – The easiest, most delicious authentic style Mexican refried beans made in an instant pot (pressure cooker)! These beans take less than an hour to make from start to finish using raw whole pinto beans and no lard.
I absolutely love these Mexican Refried Beans because they are so easy to make! Cooking in an instant pot makes making refried beans from scratch a cinch! They taste just like the beans you hope to get at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
We love to top our refried beans with freshly crumbled cotija cheese (queso fresco). One of my favorite ways to serve them is as a delicious appetizer with tortilla chips and salsa. Another one of my favorite ways to serve these beans is wrapped in a flour tortilla with melted jack cheese. Bean and cheese burritos have been one of my favorite meals since I was a kid.
Not only are these beans amazing as an appetizer or main course, they are a perfect side dish. Pair them with Mexican Rice and serve with your favorite main courses like enchiladas, tacos, and burritos. Top with fresh sour cream and guacamole for absolute perfection!
This recipe serves about 6 people, giving each person a generous portion. If you aren’t cooking for a large crowd, you can cut the recipe in half. You can also double the recipe if you are cooking for a large crowd.
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker – To cook your beans in. You can use any pressure cooker brand.
- Measuring Cups + Spoons – To properly measure all of your ingredients for the beans.
- Blender – To blend your beans smooth.
Ingredients you need to make refried beans in an instant pot:
- Dry Pinto Beans – You’ll need about a pound of pinto beans which is equivalent to 2 cups.
- Onion – Red, yellow or white onion all work great in this recipe.
- Garlic Cloves – Fresh garlic is best in this recipe.
- Dried Oregano – You may also use fresh oregano, just double the amount and finely chop.
- Lime Juice – You’ll need about a half of a fresh lime, or 1 tablespoon.
- Salt – To season your beans. I almost always use sea salt in my recipes, but you can use whatever salt you have on hand.
- Cumin – Adds a delicious authentic Mexican flavor to the beans.
- Cotija Cheese (queso fresca) – This is an optional topping.
*Full measurements and instructions listed below.
How to make Instant Pot Mexican Refried Beans:
Start by rinsing dry beans in a colander.
Pour water into the instant pot. Sprinkle in onions, garlic, oregano, cumin and 1 tsp salt.
Pour rinsed pinto beans into the instant pot and close lid. Make sure you have the pressure valve in the sealed position.
Set the instant pot to the beans function for 35 minutes. When done, let the instant pot naturally release pressure (this will take about 15 minutes).
When done, allow the beans to cool slightly. Then, transfer beans to a blender with lime juice, remaining salt, and a quarter cup of the remaining bean juice. Reserve leftover liquids from your instant pot to add as you blend if beans are too thick.
When done, beans will be mostly smooth. Serve beans with a sprinkle of crumbled cotija cheese! Enjoy!
Main courses to serve with your Mexican Refried Beans:
- Baked Chicken Flautas – Delicious authentic Mexican style marinated chicken tacos grilled to perfection on the barbecue and topped off with avocado salsa verde, onion, cilantro and radishes.
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Enchiladas – Slow cooker shredded salsa chicken wrapped in king size tortillas with jack and cheddar cheese topped with homemade enchilada sauce.
- Slow Cooked Al Pastor Tacos – Mexican style al pastor pork slow cooked in the oven. Serve on hot tortillas with fresh pineapple salsa.
- Baked Chicken Taquitos – Crispy homemade chicken taquitos are the perfect main course or appetizer. Shredded chicken wrapped tightly in corn tortillas then baked (or fried) to golden perfection. Serve with guacamole, salsa or sour cream!
How to store and reheat homemade Instant Pot Mexican Beans:
To store homemade instant pot refried beans: Store completely cooled refried beans in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the beans in an airtight freezer bag for up to 60 days. Reheat beans in a saucepan on the stove adding a little bit of water to loosen them up. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until nice and hot.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more delicious Mexican side dish recipes I think you’ll love:
- Mexican Rice – (Spanish Rice) The perfect side dish to pair with your favorite enchiladas, tacos, tamales, burritos and more!
- Grilled Mexican Corn – Also known as “Mexican Street Corn” or “Elote”. This grilled corn is perfect for your upcoming summer BBQ’s! First the corn is grilled and then basted in a delicious creamy lime sauce sprinkled with fresh cilantro and chili powder.
- Avocado Salsa Verde – Fresh and authentic Mexican style avocado salsa verde. The perfect salsa to top your tacos, burritos, chips and more!
- Guacamole – Authentic style guacamole is the perfect appetizer to serve with fresh chips! It is also perfect to serve on top of your favorite tacos, enchiladas and more.
Instant Pot Mexican Refried Beans
- 2 cups Dry Pinto Beans (1 lb.)
- 7 cups Water
- 1/2 Yellow Onion cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 cup Cotija Cheese queso fresca
- Start by rinsing dry beans in a colander.
- Pour water into the instant pot. Sprinkle in onions, garlic, oregano, cumin and 1 tsp salt.
- Pour rinsed pinto beans into the instant pot and close lid. Make sure you have the pressure valve in the sealed position.
- Set the instant pot to the beans function for 35 minutes. When done, let the instant pot naturally release pressure (this will take about 15 minutes).
- When done, allow the beans to cool slightly. Then, transfer beans to a blender with lime juice, remaining salt, and a quarter cup of the remaining bean juice. Reserve leftover liquids from your instant pot to add as you blend if beans are too thick.
- When done, beans will be mostly smooth. Serve beans with a sprinkle of crumbled cotija cheese! Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by! If you tried this recipe, please don’t forget to leave a review.