Teriyaki Sauce – With less than 10 ingredients and done in under 15 minutes, this super easy teriyaki sauce recipe is my go to. Pour sauce over chicken, pork or beef or use as a dipping sauce for wontons, egg rolls and more.
Whenever I am planning to make an Asian inspired dish, I usually go straight for this delicious Teriyaki Sauce recipe! Not only is it super easy to make but it is absolutely amazing. Everyone loves it!
Serve this sauce over your favorite grilled meats, like chicken, beef and pork! We also love using this as a dipping sauce for lumpias, egg rolls and wontons. This recipe is budget friendly and kid friendly.
This recipe makes about one cup of teriyaki sauce. If you are cooking for a crowd, you can easily double this recipe. Store leftover teriyaki sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. To reheat the sauce, place in a saucepan over low heat until nice and warm.
Here is some more information on all of the ingredients you need to make the best Teriyaki Sauce in the comfort of your home! For the full recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page. Let’s get cooking!
Ingredients you need to make Teriyaki Sauce:
- water – You’ll need one cup of water for the sauce.
- soy sauce – I used low sodium soy sauce in this recipe, but you can also use regular soy sauce as well!
- cornstarch – This will turn the sauce into a nice thick glaze.
- garlic clove – I prefer to use fresh garlic in this recipe, but you can also substitute a 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- ground ginger – If you have fresh ginger, you can use that as well! Use 1 tsp very finely chopped or grated.
- brown sugar – Light or dark brown sugar both work great in this recipe.
- honey – Regular unflavored honey.
- sesame oil – Pure sesame oil is best in this recipe.
- rice vinegar – If you don’t have rice vinegar, you can also use white wine vinegar.
**Full measurements and instructions are listed for you below.
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
- small saucepan – To cook the Teriyaki Sauce in.
- cooking spoon – To stir the sauce while it thickens.
- measuring spoons + cups – For properly measuring all of your ingredients.
- garlic mincer – To mince the garlic of you can use the fine side of a grater.
- liquid measuring cup – To measure the liquids.
How to make homemade Teriyaki Sauce:
Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
In a medium saucepan, add remaining ingredients along with the cornstarch/water mixture.
Stirring frequently, bring sauce to a simmer. Cook until sauce thickens and reduces to about half. Sauce will be dark brown.
Once sauce has thickened up, remove from heat and serve immediately!
**Store leftover teriyaki sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. To reheat the sauce, place in a saucepan over low heat until nice and warm.
Try my Chicken Teriyaki Recipe using my homemade teriyaki sauce:
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more recipes I think you’ll love:
- Crispy Sweet and Spicy Asian Chicken – Just like takeout! Crispy pan fried chicken tossed in a sweet and spicy Asian style glaze.
- Fried Rice – Super simple take out style homemade fried rice with carrots and peas. Serve this delicious side dish with your favorite Asian main courses.
- Garlic Ginger Chicken – Flavor packed Chinese takeout style chicken recipe made with fresh ginger and garlic in a soy sesame caramelized sauce. This chicken recipe has become one of mine and my husbands favorite dinner recipes to make in our house.
- Sweet & Sour Chicken – Takeout style Chinese chicken recipe made with crispy chicken and caramelized onions in a delicious sweet and sour sauce.
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers – The most delicious marinated teriyaki chicken grilled to perfection and finished with a delicious teriyaki sauce. If you haven’t tried these, you need to!
- Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce – Delicious Southeast Asian marinated grilled chicken skewers served with a creamy peanut dipping sauce. A delicious traditional Southeast Asian dish consisting of skewered chicken marinated in warm middle eastern flavors then grilled to perfection on the barbecue.
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, add remaining ingredients along with the cornstarch/water mixture.
- Stirring frequently, bring sauce to a simmer. Cook until sauce thickens and reduces to about half. Sauce will be dark brown.
- Once sauce has thickened up, remove from heat and serve immediately!
If you tried this recipe, please don’t forget to leave a review. Thank you for stopping by!