Easy Slow Cooker Chile Colorado Burritos - Slow Cooked beef Chile Colorado rolled in a hot tortilla with refried beans, rice and cheese. These burritos make for such a delicious easy dinner recipe!
This recipe will make about 4-6 burritos depending on how much filling you put in each burrito and how big the tortilla is. If you are cooking for a very large crowd, you can easily double this recipe or cut the recipe in half if cooking for less people.
Ingredients you need to make my Easy Chile Colorado Burritos:
Beef Stew Meat or Beef Roast – You’ll need two pounds of beef stew meat. You can also use a chuck roast (or similar) and cut into chunks.
Diced Green Chiles – One can of diced green chiles. I used fire roasted green chiles.
Chipotle Adobo Sauce – You can buy chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and just spoon out the sauce. If you like spicy you can use the actual peppers. They also sell chipotle in adobo sauce (just the sauce).
Dry Seasonings – Oregano + Chili Powder + Cumin
Garlic – Fresh garlic is best in this recipe, but if you are in a pinch you can use 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
Beef Broth – I prefer beef broth in this recipe, but you can also use chicken or vegetable broth.
Onion – I used yellow onion but you can also use red onion in this recipe.
Apple Cider Vinegar – Helps to make the meat super tender.
Tomato Paste – If you don’t have tomato paste, use tomato sauce and double the amount.
Bay Leaf – Adds a nice flavor to the sauce. If you don’t have bay leaf – skip it.
Tortillas - Large burrito size tortillas.
Steamed Rice - Mexican rice or steamed white rice is an optional filling for the burrito.
Cheese - Sharp cheddar, Mild Cheddar, Jack Cheese or Mexican blend cheese. We used Sharp cheddar In our burritos.
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
- Slow Cooker / Crockpot – For cooking the meat in.
- Measuring Spoons + Cups – To properly measure all of your ingredients.
- Cutting Board + Chef Knife– To chop and prepare the ingredients.
How to make the best Slow Cooker Chile Colorado:
Add all ingredients listed under 'Chile Colorado' to your slow cooker except for the beef. Stir to fully combine all ingredients.
Add beef to the slow cooker and stir to coat meat in sauce. Cook on low for 7-8 hours until beef is fork tender.
When done, roll tortillas with shredded or chunks of the beef, rice, beans and cheese. Smother top with sauce from the slow cooker and top with more cheese. Enjoy!
Mexican side dishes to pair with burritos:
Instant Pot Mexican Refried Beans - The easiest, most delicious authentic style Mexican refried beans made in an instant pot (pressure cooker)! These beans take less than an hour to make from start to finish using raw whole pinto beans and no lard.
Mexican Rice - The perfect side dish to pair with your favorite enchiladas, tacos, tamales, burritos and more!
Best Homemade Guacamole - Delicious fresh guacamole recipe made with fresh avocados, tomatillos, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. Serve with chips for the perfect appetizer.
More favorite Mexican dishes you'll love:
Chicken Mole Enchiladas - Shredded chicken enchiladas layered with corn or flour tortillas, shredded chicken, Mexican cheese, smothered in homemade mole sauce. Serve with a sprinkle of cotija cheese and cilantro.
Shredded Chicken Enchiladas - Shredded salsa chicken wrapped in tortillas with jack and cheddar cheeses smothered in red enchilada sauce baked to perfection!
Best Mexican Shredded Beef (Slow Cooker) - Shredded salsa chicken wrapped in tortillas with jack and cheddar cheeses smothered in red enchilada sauce baked to perfection!
Baked Chicken Flautas - Shredded chicken rolled in flour tortillas baked to crispy perfection. These flautas make for a perfect appetizer, party food, lunch or dinner!
Chile Colorado Burritos
- 2 lbs Beef Stew Meat or beef roast cut into chunks
- 1 ½ cups Beef Broth or chicken/vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon Chipotle Adobo Sauce
- 1 can Diced Green Chiles
- 2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 ½ tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- 3 clove Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ cup Yellow Onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Bay Leaf
For the burritos:
- 4-6 Tortillas Burrito Size
- 1-2 cups Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1 can Refried Beans or homemade
- 1-2 cups Cooked White Rice optional
- Add all ingredients listed under 'Chile Colorado' to your slow cooker except for the beef. Stir to fully combine all ingredients.
- Add beef to the slow cooker and stir to coat meat in sauce. Cook on low for 7-8 hours until beef is fork tender.
- When done, roll tortillas with shredded or chunks of the beef, rice, beans and cheese. Top with sauce from the slow cooker and top with more cheese. Enjoy!