Easy Crockpot Shredded Chicken - Super easy and versatile shredded chicken recipe made in the slow cooker. Perfect for salads, tacos, sandwiches and more!
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
- Slow Cooker/Crockpot - To cook the shredded chicken.
- Measuring Cups + Spoons - Measuring your ingredients.
- Fork or Hand Mixer - For shredding the chicken.
I absolutely love this shredded chicken recipe because it is so easy to make and you can use shredded chicken in so many ways. For example, you can make chicken salad, chicken taquitos, baked flautas, burritos, tacos and more!
We made baked chicken flautas with half of the chicken and then made a delicious chicken salad with the leftovers! I will link some of my favorite recipes that call for shredded chicken for your below.
This recipe makes about 4 cups of cooked shredded chicken which serves about 4 people. If you are cooking for a crowd or are looking to cook a large amount to have on hand for the week, simply double the recipe. From start to finish it only takes 3 ½ hours in the crockpot on high heat.
Ingredients you need to make my Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken:
- Chicken Breasts - Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
- Onion - Yellow or white onion (grated). You can also use onion powder in substitution(1 tsp).
- Garlic - 1 clove fresh garlic. You can also use garlic powder in substitution (1 tsp).
- Salt - I almost always use sea salt, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Pepper - I always use fresh cracked, but ground works great too.
- Water - To help steam the chicken while cooking in the crockpot.
How to make my super easy crockpot shredded chicken:
Pour water into the bottom of your slow cooker. Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker and sprinkle with grated onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
Turn your slow cooker on high heat for 3 ½ hours or on low heat for 6 hours.
When the chicken is fork tender, easily shred chicken with two forks. You can also use a hand mixer and easily shred chicken with beater attachment. Enjoy!
What to make with crockpot shredded chicken? Here are some of my favorite recipes using this chicken:
- Shredded Chicken Enchiladas - Slow cooker shredded salsa chicken wrapped in king size tortillas with jack and cheddar cheese topped with homemade enchilada sauce.
- Grape & Walnut Chicken Salad - Delicious easy rotisserie chicken salad with grapes, walnuts, celery, and onion in a delicious creamy sauce.
- Baked Chicken Flautas - Shredded chicken rolled in flour tortillas baked to crispy perfection. These flautas make for a perfect appetizer, party food, lunch or dinner!
- Creamy Chicken & Sausage Pasta - Penne pasta with shredded rotisserie chicken and sausage tossed in a delicious creamy parmesan sauce.
How to store cooked shredded chicken and how long does it last?
Place cooked completely cooled shredded chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. You can also freeze the chicken in a tightly sealed storage bag for up to 60 days.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more of my favorite slow cooker recipes I think you'll love:
- Crockpot Pulled Pork Sliders - Tender and delicious bbq pulled pork cooked low and slow in the crockpot. Layer the pulled pork on top of your toasted Hawaiian Rolls followed by creamy coleslaw and sweet pickle.
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Brown Sugar Pork Roast - Tender and delicious pork roast slow cooked in a crockpot with a sticky balsamic brown sugar glaze.
- Slow Cooked Tender London Broil - This London broil recipe is super easy and absolutely melt in your mouth delicious. The flavor is slightly sweet but mostly savory.
- Slow Cooker Tender Short Ribs - English cut short ribs seared in a cast iron skillet then cooked low and slow in a red wine sauce.
Easy Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- 2 lbs Chicken Breasts
- ¼ cup Onion very finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ cup water
- Pour water into the bottom of your slow cooker. Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker and sprinkle with grated onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Turn your slow cooker on high heat for 3 ½ hours or on low heat for 6 hours.
- When the chicken is fork tender, easily shred chicken with two forks. You can also use a hand mixer and easily shred chicken with beater attachment. Enjoy!