English cut short ribs seared in a cast iron skillet then cooked low and slow in a red wine sauce. If you are looking for a super easy way to make short ribs tender and delicious, this is the recipe for you!
We served ours short ribs over creamy mashed potatoes with glazed carrots. It was absolutely delicious. I will link some of my favorite side dishes to serve with these ribs for you below.
This recipe serves four people, giving each person one short rib. If you have a larger appetite, then this would probably only serve two people. You can easily double this recipe if you’d like!
Store leftover short ribs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. To reheat leftovers, just pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. You can also reheat them in a saucepan over medium-low heat on the stove until nice and hot.
Ingredients you need to make this recipe:
- 4 Short Ribs – (about 2 pounds, english cut, 1 1/2 – 2 inches thick)
- Onion – (1 large yellow or red onion, diced)
- Garlic Cloves – (3 large cloves, finely chopped)
- Beef Broth – (2 cups, about one 15 oz. can)
- Dry Red Wine – (1 cup, I used Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Brown Sugar – (dark or light, 2 tbsp)
- Tomato Paste – (3 tbsp)
- Worcestershire Sauce – (2 tbsp)
- Salt + Pepper
- Thyme – (1 tbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried)
- Butter – (salted or unsalted, 1 tbsp)
- Oil – (avocado, canola or olive, 1 tbsp)
- Cornstarch (1 tbsp)
**Full measurements and instructions listed for you below.
Tools to have on hand to make these short ribs:
- cast iron skillet, dutch oven or regular skillet – To sear the short ribs in.
- tongs – For turning the ribs while searing.
- cooking spoon – For stirring the sauce.
- cutting board – To prepare veggies.
- chef knife – To prepare veggies.
- slow cooker – To cook the short ribs in.
- measuring spoons and cups – To ensure all of your ingredients are measured properly.
How to make Slow Cooker Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce:
Season short ribs with salt and pepper on all sides.
Heat skillet over high heat and add butter and oil. Once the skillet is very hot, carefully add short ribs. Sear ribs on all sides for about 30 seconds until you have a nice crust. Transfer seared ribs to your slow cooker.
In the same skillet you cooked the short ribs, add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
Carefully pour red wine sauce over the short ribs.
Cook in your slow cooker on the low setting for 8 hours or on high setting for 4 hours.
When done, transfer short ribs to a plate. To thicken the sauce, pour 1 cup of the sauce into a bowl and whisk in a tablespoon of cornstarch. Pour sauce back into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Pour sauce over short ribs and serve.
Here are some of my favorite recipes to serve with your delicious short ribs:
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes – Easy, creamy, buttery mashed potatoes sprinkled with fresh parsley. When it comes to mashed potatoes, the more butter the better!
- Scalloped Potatoes – Thinly sliced potatoes layered in a creamy sauce with cheddar cheese baked to a golden perfection.
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese – The creamiest, cheesiest mac and cheese baked to a golden perfection!
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts Sweet Potato Bacon Cranberries & Pine Nuts – The sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts are tossed in nutmeg and cinnamon which gives this dish those warm, comforting flavors that transport you right into the holiday season.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more slow cooker recipes I think you’ll love:
- Slow Cooker Lasagna – Easy and delicious lasagna made in a crockpot/slow cooker. This lasagna is this ultimate simple meal planning recipe!
- French Onion Pot Roast – Tender and delicious pot roast recipe cooked to pull-apart perfection in a slow cooker layered with tender onions in a savory sauce. This pot roast is the ultimate easy comfort meal perfect for any night of the week!
- Slow Cooked Tender London Broil – This London broil recipe is super easy and absolutely melt in your mouth delicious. The flavor is slightly sweet but mostly savory. If you are looking for a tender, pull-apart London broil recipe that takes very little effort from start to finish, look no further!
- Slow Cooker Saucy Chicken Thighs – Tender and delicious chicken thighs seared golden brown then cooked low and slow in a savory sauce. Slow Cooker chicken in an Asian style bbq sauce make for a super delicious and easy dinner recipe! This recipe is kid friendly and budget friendly
Slow Cooker Tender Short Ribs
- 4 short ribs about 2 pounds, english cut, 1 1/2 – 2 inches thick
- 1 large onion yellow or red, diced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 cups beef broth about 1 – 15 oz. can
- 1 cup dry red wine I used Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt + pepper each
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Heat skillet over high heat and add butter and oil. Once the skillet is very hot, carefully add short ribs. Sear ribs on all sides for about 30 seconds until you have a nice crust. Transfer seared ribs to your slow cooker.
- In the same skillet you cooked the short ribs, add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully pour red wine sauce over the short ribs.
- Cook in your slow cooker on the low setting for 8 hours or on high setting for 4 hours.
- When done, transfer short ribs to a plate. To thicken the sauce, pour 1 cup of the sauce into a bowl and whisk in a tablespoon of cornstarch. Pour sauce back into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Pour sauce over short ribs and serve.