Homemade Belgian Waffles – With a light crunch on the outside and a soft and fluffy center, this waffle recipe is mouth-watering delicious! Waffles are definitely my weak spot when it comes to sweet breakfast food.
There is nothing better than waking up on a Saturday morning and whipping up a delicious breakfast for the family. The smell of hot coffee, bacon and homemade waffles cooking is such a fun way to get the weekend started!
I usually like to serve my waffles the classic way with maple syrup and butter. But, there are so many different ways to eat waffles! You can serve them by themselves with classic breakfast side dishes like bacon, sausage, eggs, fresh fruit and more. I personally love to serve mine with crispy corned beef hash and an over easy egg. Yum!
Another way I like to serve waffles is with homemade fresh strawberry sauce. It is ridiculously easy to make and the end result is definitely worth the extra step! Finish with a little powdered sugar or whipped cream and you have waffle perfection.
This recipe makes 4 large waffles. Cooking for a crowd? Simply double the recipe.
Here are the tools you need to make this recipe:
- Belgian Waffle Maker – You can also use this waffle mix in a regular waffle maker.
- Mixing Bowl
- Silicone Spatula
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
Ingredients needed to make these super yummy homemade waffles:
- Warm Milk – I usually use Vitamin D milk, but you can use whatever milk you have on hand!
- White Sugar – Regular white granulated sugar is what I used. You can also use an organic cane sugar.
- Baking Powder – For a light and fluffy waffle.
- Vanilla Extract – I’ve used pure vanilla extract and imitation vanilla in this recipe and they both worked fine.
- Salt – I used sea salt in this recipe but you can use whatever salt you have on hand!
- All-Purpose Flour – Unbleached, pre-sifted flour is best for this recipe.
- Butter, melted – I always use unsalted butter. Salted butter is good too, just half the salt in this recipe.
- Eggs – For structure, moisture and richness.
How to make Homemade Belgian Waffles from scratch:
In a small bowl combine milk, butter and vanilla.
In another bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Pour milk mixture into the dry ingredients and add the eggs, one at a time. Stir until well combined.
Heat and lightly grease your Belgian waffle maker. Pour about 1/2 – 3/4 cups of the mixture per waffle. Cook the waffles according to your waffle maker settings.
Serve your waffles with your favorite toppings like my Homemade Strawberry Sauce! Enjoy!
If you want to add chocolate chips to your waffles, that would be a great addition! You can also add thinly sliced bananas to the batter prior to cooking.
Here are some super delicious and fun waffle topping ideas:
- Top with Homemade Strawberry Sauce.
- The classic way – butter & maple syrup.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Top with your favorite fresh fruit.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
- Whipped Cream – You can easily make whipped cream at home!
- Fried chicken, maple syrup & hot sauce.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few more recipes I think you’ll love:
- Easy Breakfast Potatoes – Super simple homemade breakfast potato recipe made with fresh potatoes, herbs and seasonings. Serve with fresh cooked eggs, toast, in a breakfast burrito and more.
- Blueberry Cheese Danish- Scrumptious blueberry and cheese danishes made with a flaky and buttery puff pastry. These are the perfect sweet breakfast pastry or dessert!
- Banana Nut Muffins – Super moist and delicious banana nut muffins make for a delicious quick and easy breakfast. This recipe is such a great way to use up overly ripe bananas.
- Pumpkin Spiced Donut Holes – Fall flavors are already filling up my kitchen in anticipation of my favorite season. The flavors of Fall are some of my favorite, warm pumpkin pastries, beautiful colored squash, hot apple cider, it really is a special time of year!
- Cinnamon Bread – Not only is this bread absolutely delicious, but it fills up my home with that warm aroma of cinnamon and spices which I cannot get enough of!
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread – Not only is this bread absolutely delicious, but it fills up my home with that warm aroma of cinnamon and spices which I cannot get enough of!
Homemade Belgian Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- For Strawberry Sauce – SEE NOTES
- In a small bowl combine milk, butter and vanilla.
- In another bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Pour milk mixture into the dry ingredients and add the eggs, one at a time. Stir until well combined.
- Heat and lightly grease your Belgian waffle maker. Pour about 1/2 – 3/4 cups of the mixture per waffle. Cook the waffles according to your waffle maker settings.
- Serve your waffles with your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
This post was originally published on June 18, 2019 and updated on May 1, 2020.