BBQ Bacon Baked Beans - Savory baked beans made with bacon, onion and peppers in a savory sauce with a dash of maple syrup. A classic barbecue side dish to serve with grilled meats, potato salad, coleslaw and more.
Craving a delicious barbecued meal? Like the one at your favorite barbecue joint? The one that serves you tender fall-off the bone ribs, pulled pork or grilled chicken with a side of baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw and cornbread? Well I've got quite the line up for you. Starting with my delicious homemade baked beans.
I served my beans with a juicy oven roasted tri tip roast, coleslaw, and roasted garlic potatoes. It was absolutely delicious. I'll link some of my favorite main courses and side dishes that pair perfectly with this recipe for you below.
Be sure you set aside about an hour and half of time to make these beans from start to finish. I'm so excited to share this super easy recipe with you! Let's get cooking!
Ingredients you need for this recipe:
- Pork & Beans -You'll need two 15 oz. cans. I used Van Camp's.
- Bacon - Any bacon you prefer. I used thick cut. You'll need 4 slices.
- Onion - Yellow, white or red onion.
- Anaheim Pepper - Or you can substitute for green bell pepper.
- Garlic - One fresh garlic clove.
- Brown Sugar - I used light brown sugar but you can use dark as well.
- Maple Syrup - I always use pure good quality syrup but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Mustard - Yellow mustard is best in this recipe. Dijon would be good too.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - I don't recommend substituting this but if you have to, use distilled vinegar.
Tools to have on hand:
- Dutch Oven Or Saucepan
- 8"x8" Baking Dish
- Measuring Spoons + Cups
- Cooking Spoon
- Chef Knife
- Cutting Board
How to make BBQ Bacon Baked Beans:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook sliced bacon until golden but not crisp. Remove bacon, chop up and set aside for later.
Add chopped onion and peppers to the bacon grease and cook over medium heat until soft. Add remaining ingredients and give it a stir.
Pour beans into an 8"x8" baking dish and sprinkle bacon crumbles on top.
Bake beans in the oven for 60 minutes or until browned and bubbly on top.
Recipe Notes: You can substitute green bell pepper for the Anaheim pepper. Also, If you have a small dutch oven (linked above) you can bake your beans in that instead of the baking dish.
Delicious main course ideas that pair perfectly with your beans:
Grilled Whole Chicken on the BBQ - Cooking a whole chicken on the grill gives the chicken a rotisserie like flavor that is unbeatable.
Grilled Spicy BBQ Chicken Thighs - Juicy grilled chicken thighs basted in a spicy homemade barbecue sauce.
BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs - Seasoned chicken thighs wrapped in thick cut bacon, basted in a sweet sauce and then grilled to crisp perfection.
BBQ Pork Skewers in Filipino BBQ Marinade - Delicious grilled pork skewers in a homemade sticky, sweet, and spicy Filipino style BBQ marinade.
Steakhouse Burger - Made with a juicy quarter pound ground beef patty, sharp cheddar cheese, grilled onions and mushrooms with mayonnaise and mustard.
Oven Ribeye Steak - Crusty, tender and delicious bone-in ribeye steaks seared on a cast iron skillet and finished in the oven.
Here are some more side dish ideas that pair great with baked beans:
Creamy Classic Coleslaw- My classic coleslaw recipe is made with a delicious slightly sweet and creamy homemade coleslaw dressing.
Classic American Potato Salad - The perfect side dish for your upcoming summer BBQ’s! Made with hard boiled eggs, this classic potato salad is creamy and delicious!
Cornbread Muffins - Serve warm cornbread muffins with butter and honey. These muffins go excellent with chili, barbecued dinners, and so much more!
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad - Creamy and delicious Hawaiian macaroni salad is an excellent side dish to serve with grilled huli huli chicken, pork and more!
BLT Pasta Salad - The perfect summer pasta salad loaded with bacon, corn, tomato, hard boiled egg, tomatoes, and kale in a delicious ranch dressing.
Grilled Mexican Corn - Also known as “Mexican Street Corn” or “Elote”. This grilled corn is perfect for your upcoming summer BBQ’s! First the corn is grilled and then basted in a delicious creamy lime sauce sprinkled with fresh cilantro and chili powder.
BBQ Bacon Baked Beans
- 2 - 15 oz. cans Pork & Beans
- 4 slices Bacon
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- ½ cup Anaheim Pepper chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Mustard
- 2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook sliced bacon until golden but not crisp. Remove bacon, chop up and set aside for later.
- Add chopped onion and peppers to the bacon grease and cook over medium heat until soft. Add all remaining ingredients and give it a stir.
- Pour beans into a baking dish and sprinkle bacon crumbles on top.
- Bake beans in the oven for 60 minutes until browned and bubbly on top.