Sesame Ginger Short Ribs - Tender slow cooker English cut short ribs cooked low and slow in a savory sesame ginger sauce. If you are looking for a delicious Asian style short rib recipe made simply in your crockpot, this is it!
My favorite way to prepare English cut short ribs is cooked low and slow for a fall off the bone end result. We served our short ribs with sesame seeds and chopped green onions over steamed white rice.
You can also serve with creamy mashed potatoes, french fries, or on toasty rolls for a delicious short rib sandwich. Either way you can't go wrong because these ribs are downright delicious!
I'll link a few of my favorite side dish recipes to pair with short ribs for you below. This recipe will make about 4-6 ribs serving about 4 people depending on everyone's appetite.
If you are planning on cooking for a large crowd, you can easily double this recipe. Just make sure all the ribs fit in your slow cooker! Store leftovers completely cooled in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Ingredients you need for this recipe:
English Cut Short Ribs - About two pounds of English cut short ribs. I try to purchase short ribs that are even in thickness and size. Two pounds should get you about 4-6 short ribs.
Fresh Ginger - You'll need a tablespoon of fresh grated ginger for this recipe. I don't recommend substituting for ground.
Fresh Garlic Cloves - Fresh garlic is best in this recipe. You'll need about a tablespoon minced which is equivalent to about 4 cloves.
Yellow Onion - You can use yellow, white, sweet or red onion in this recipe.
Sesame Oil - Pure quality sesame oil is best in this recipe.
Low Sodium Soy Sauce - I recommend using low sodium soy sauce in this recipe to prevent your ribs from becoming to salty.
Brown Sugar - You can use light or dark brown sugar in this recipe. They both work great.
Cornstarch - Cornstarch will help the sauce to lightly thicken up while cooking.
Beef Broth - I recommend using low sodium beef broth but I have used regular beef broth and didn't notice much of a difference so you can use either.
Tomato Sauce - You'll need ⅓ cup of tomato sauce. If you don't have tomato sauce you can substitute for 2 tablespoon tomato paste.
White Wine Vinegar - Adds a nice acidity and balances out the sugars in this recipe. If you don't have white wine vinegar you can substitute for rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
Salt / Black Pepper - I almost always use sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper in all of my recipes. You can use whatever you have on hand.
Butter / Oil - Unsalted or salted butter with olive, canola or avocado oil for searing the short ribs before transferring to crockpot.
Tools you'll need to prepare this recipe:
- cast iron skillet, dutch oven or regular skillet – To sear the short ribs in.
- tongs – For turning the ribs while searing.
- cooking spoon – For stirring the sauce.
- cutting board – To prepare veggies.
- chef knife – To prepare veggies.
- slow cooker – To cook the short ribs in.
- measuring spoons and cups – To ensure all of your ingredients are measured properly.
How to make English Cut Short Ribs in your slow cooker:
Season short ribs with salt and pepper on all sides.
Heat your skillet over high heat and add butter and oil. Once the skillet is very hot, carefully add short ribs. Sear ribs on all sides for about 30 seconds until you have a nice crust. Transfer seared ribs to your slow cooker.
In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients to make the sauce.
In the same skillet you cooked the short ribs, add sauce and bring to a simmer for about a minute. Carefully pour sauce over the short ribs.
Cover and cook on the low setting for 7-8 hours or on high setting for 4 hours.
When done, transfer short ribs to a plate.
If you need to thicken the sauce, pour ½ cup of the sauce into a bowl and whisk in about 1-2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Pour sauce back into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Pour sauce over short ribs and serve. Enjoy!
Side Dishes to pair with short ribs:
Creamy Mashed Potatoes - Easy, creamy, buttery mashed potatoes sprinkled with fresh parsley. When it comes to mashed potatoes, the more butter the better! Add a little cream cheese and sour cream and you have the most satisfying mashed potatoes.
Shoestring Fries - Thin and crispy baked shoestring french fries make for a delicious side dish or appetizer! Serve with your favorite fry sauces.
Roasted Rosemary Garlic Potatoes - Fresh rosemary and garlic baked red potatoes with a light golden crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
Fried Rice - Super simple take out style homemade fried rice with carrots and peas. Serve this delicious side dish with your favorite Asian main courses.
Creamy Asian Cucumber Salad - Thinly sliced cucumber and red onion tossed in a delicious creamy peanut dressing. This is one of my all time favorite salads!
Favorite slow cooker beef recipes:
Slow Cooker Tender Short Ribs - English cut short ribs seared in a cast iron skillet then cooked low and slow in a red wine sauce. If you are looking for a super easy way to make short ribs tender and delicious, this is the recipe for you!
Slow Cooker Savory Pot Roast - Tender and delicious pot roast made in a slow cooker/crockpot with boneless beef roast, carrots, and onion in savory gravy. This recipe is a super easy dinner packed with delicious flavors that scream comfort food.
Slow Cooked Tender London Broil - This London broil recipe is super easy and absolutely melt in your mouth delicious. The flavor is slightly sweet but mostly savory. If you are looking for a tender, pull-apart London broil recipe that takes very little effort from start to finish, look no further!
Tender BBQ Beef Roast - he most delicious slow cooker pull-apart bbq beef tri tip roast. Serve over creamy mashed potatoes for absolute perfection.
Sesame Ginger Short Ribs
- 8 English Cut Short Ribs
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ cup Yellow Onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 3 tablespoon Soy Sauce low sodium
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- ⅓ cup Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Salt / Black Pepper each
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- ½ tablespoon Oil
- 1-2 teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- 3-4 Green Onions chopped
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Heat your skillet over high heat and add butter and oil. Once the skillet is very hot, carefully add short ribs. Sear ribs on all sides for about 30 seconds until you have a nice crust. Transfer seared ribs to your slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients to make the sauce.
- In the same skillet you cooked the short ribs, add sauce and bring to a simmer for about a minute. Carefully pour sauce over the short ribs.
- Cover and cook on the low setting for 7-8 hours or on high setting for 4 hours.
- When done, transfer short ribs to a plate.
- If you need to thicken the sauce, pour ½ cup of the sauce into a bowl and whisk in about 1-2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Pour sauce back into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Pour sauce over short ribs and serve. Enjoy!