Best Sloppy Joes - Delicious and easy homemade Sloppy Joes made with ground beef and onions cooked in a savory flavor-packed sauce. Pile high on a toasty buns for absolute perfection!
Sloppy Joes are definitely one of my go-to weeknight recipes when I am looking for a super easy yet delicious dinner! From start to finish they only take 30 minutes to make! We served ours with easy homemade baked french fries.
You can serve these sandwiches by themselves or with a fresh salad, veggies and so much more. I will link a few of my favorite side dishes to serve with homemade Sloppy Joe's for you below.
This recipe makes about 4 sandwiches. If you are cooking for a large crowd, you can easily double this recipe. If you are cooking for a smaller crowd, you can easily cut this recipe in half.
Ingredients you to need to make easy and delicious Sloppy Joes:
Ground Beef - I used 85/15 fat ratio ground beef in this recipe, but you can really use any ground beef you have on hand. You can also use ground turkey if you are looking for a healthier option!
Onion - You can use yellow, sweet, white or red onions.
Garlic Cloves - Fresh garlic is best in this recipe, but you can also garlic powder as a substitution. Use 1 teaspoon garlic powder if substituting for cloves.
Tomato Sauce - You'll need one small 8 oz can of tomato sauce or equivalent to 1 cup.
Ketchup - Adds a delicious sweetness to the sauce.
Brown Sugar - Light or dark brown sugar both work great in this recipe.
Mustard - I used yellow mustard but you can also use grainy mustard or dijon.
Worcestershire Sauce - Adds a delicious flavor to this recipe. If you don't have worcestershire sauce on hand you can use soy sauce as a substitution.
Cumin - Adds a delicious warm flavor to the sloppy joe mixture.
Paprika - You can use smoked or regular paprika in this recipe.
Black Pepper - Ground black pepper or freshly cracked black pepper bot work great.
Salt - I almost always use sea salt in my recipes but you can also use regular table salt or whatever you have on hand.
Apple Cider Vinegar - If you don't have apple cider vinegar, you can use red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar.
Tools to have on hand for this recipe:
- Large Skillet – To cook your sloppy joe mixture in.
- Cooking Spoon – To stir your ingredients while cooking.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons – To properly measure all of your ingredients.
- Cutting Board + Chef Knife – For chopping the onions.
- Garlic Mincer –For mincing the garlic or you can use a fine grater.
How to make the Best Sloppy Joes:
Add ground beef, onions, and garlic to a large skillet and cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until beef is browned.
In a small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients for the sauce.
Pour sauce over the ground beef and stir to combine. Cover and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes to let flavors develop.
Serve Sloppy Joe mixture on toasty buns with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy!
Side dishes to serve with these delicious sandwiches:
- Baked Potato Wedges - Seasoned potato wedges baked to golden perfection are the perfect appetizer or side dish. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces!
- Shoestring Fries - Thin and crispy baked shoestring french fries make for a delicious side dish or appetizer! Serve with your favorite fry sauces.
- Classic American Potato Salad - The perfect side dish for your upcoming summer BBQ’s! Made with hard boiled eggs, this classic potato salad is creamy and delicious!
- Creamy Classic Coleslaw - My classic coleslaw recipe is made with a delicious slightly sweet and creamy homemade coleslaw dressing. Serve as a barbecue side dish, on pulled pork sandwiches, tacos and more!
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are few more sandwich recipes I think you'll love:
- Steakhouse Burger - Made with a juicy quarter pound ground beef patty, sharp cheddar cheese, grilled onions and mushrooms with mayonnaise and mustard.
- BLTA Sandwiches - The very best Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato & Avocado Sandwiches! Made with thick crisp bacon, butter lettuce, sliced heirloom tomatoes and avocado with spicy mayonnaise on grilled rye bread.
- Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches - Made with baked parmesan chicken, mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce on toasty bread!
- Fried Chicken Sliders - The most delicious baked fried chicken sliders served on toasted Hawaiian rolls with dill pickle chips, shredded lettuce and sriracha aioli.
- Best Patty Melt Ever - Made with rye bread, a mustard grilled hamburger patty, caramelized onions, burger sauce, muenster and cheddar cheese.
Best Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 small onion diced
- Add ground beef, onions, and garlic to a large skillet and cook over medium heat until beef is browned.
- In a small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients for the sauce.
- Pour sauce over the ground beef and stir to combine. Cover and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes to let flavors develop.
- Serve Sloppy Joe mixture on toasty buns with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy!